Birthday Cake Help!!!

Decorating By RaquelB Updated 16 Jan 2014 , 5:54pm by scorpio1966

RaquelB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaquelB Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:47am
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone, this is my first time on this site and pretty much my first time baking a cake on my own and I need some help!

I'm making a cake for my best friends birthday this weekend and I'm feeling ambitious! Without getting too much information from her I've decided what it will look like - Round, two layer cake, covered in white fondant with bright, colorful polkdots scattered all over. Playful and simple...well maybe not simple for me but I'm ready for a challenge!

This is where your help comes in. I have no idea what type of cake or icing I should use that will go well with fondant and taste good! Her choices for flavor of cake would be as follows - Vanilla, Red Velvet or Chocolate. I was personally thinking a white chocolate or vanilla..  don't really care for red velvet haha. If anyone would like to share some easy, yet delicious cake and icing recipes or even some pointers, it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance :-D

4 replies
crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 1:36am
post #2 of 5

AWell welcome! You will surely enjoy this site and learn so much from it's members. Just about any flavor cake blends well with fondant. If you have never used fondant before, check out the site Craftsy.....they have a FREE class called Basic Fondant techniques. Once you get "hooked" in cake decorating you will find many tutorials and recipes here on this site as well as Craftsy. Good luck and post your picture of the cake !

RaquelB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaquelB Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 12:47am
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I've decided to go with a mocha chocolate cake with a hazelnut buttercream!

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 5

ASounds delicious!

scorpio1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio1966 Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 5

This site is great, check out the recipes on here and get some ideas, I wish I had more time to try them all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%