How Do You Color Sugarshack (Or Any) Icing Recipe Multiple Colors??

Decorating By silbella Updated 15 Jan 2014 , 8:24pm by silbella

silbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silbella Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 4

This may sound silly but how do you color a batch of icing multiple colors???

I use sugarshack's buttercream (1/2 sweetex, 1/2 butter) and often need 2 or 3 colors for a cake but I've had problems when I divide the icing after it's made to add my color. It gets all airy on me.   Should I be making a batch with every color I need???  That isn't practical for me since that recipe yields so much and I may only need say pink for a 6" tier.  And I don't like to keep icing because I don't do enough cakes where that same color pink would be needed in a timely manner.  So storing is not an option for me.

Also, when I do go to color, I usually put what I need back in the mixer but wondered if I should be doing it by hand instead.

I've also tried doing recipes that call for smaller amounts of ingredients in the bowl but that's been worse with the air problem.

So how do I solve this??  And is there any way to make a smaller batch (or another buttercream recipe) that doesn't get airy when colored after it's made.

Thanks so much!

Robyn

3 replies
Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by silbella 

This may sound silly but how do you color a batch of icing multiple colors???

I use sugarshack's buttercream (1/2 sweetex, 1/2 butter) and often need 2 or 3 colors for a cake but I've had problems when I divide the icing after it's made to add my color. It gets all airy on me.   Should I be making a batch with every color I need???  That isn't practical for me since that recipe yields so much and I may only need say pink for a 6" tier.  And I don't like to keep icing because I don't do enough cakes where that same color pink would be needed in a timely manner.  So storing is not an option for me.

Also, when I do go to color, I usually put what I need back in the mixer but wondered if I should be doing it by hand instead.

I've also tried doing recipes that call for smaller amounts of ingredients in the bowl but that's been worse with the air problem.

So how do I solve this??  And is there any way to make a smaller batch (or another buttercream recipe) that doesn't get airy when colored after it's made.

Thanks so much!

Robyn

Welcome Robyn,

You can make a large batch of the icing you use and separate it into smaller bowls. Just use gel coloring and something like a spatula to mix the different colors in each bowl. Make sure when you are adding the colors to stir well but slowly so you don't end up with a lot of air bubbles.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:17am
post #3 of 4

AWhen I made Sugarshack's icing a few times mine was so airy it looked like a sponge. Yes the beater blade was totally submerged and it created a vacuum like in her video. When used out of the bowl it was fine but if I made it ahead of time and kept it in an airtight bowl it would develop all these bubbles overnight.

You can use the mixer to mix color in which is what I do if I have a lot of one color to make. Otherwise, just stir it in with a spoon and kind of smash it against the side of the bowl as you're mixing to minimize the bubbles.

silbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silbella Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 4

I've had the same problem with Sugarshack's icing developing bubbles as it sat overnight.  Wonder why that happens?? So I'm guessing I was being too forceful when mixing my colors so I will try doing it slowly and see if that was the issue.  Thanks for the responses!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%