Has Anyone Ordered From Daisy Cakes, Featured On Abc's Shark Tank?

Baking By nadsquad Updated 14 Jan 2014 , 10:45pm by MBalaska

nadsquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadsquad Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 8

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has ordered or tried a cake from Daisy Cakes. After watching the clip from Shark Tank, how delicious they made it sound and how they could not stop eating it, it makes me very curious if the cake experts on cake central could share their opinion about the cake itself, comparable recipes, and her business model ...

Obviously she is very blessed to have made such a great deal publicly on tv and to have her business grow so large and so quickly, no one would expect this growth normally in the business of baking.

Clip from ABC's Shark Tank:

Thanks for your input!!!

7 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 8

AThey are just old-fashioned southern recipes. They are not "pretty" by any stretch of the imagination. They are just flat iced and packed in a tin. While it sounds like she's making a good profit I don't know how she's able to do it with the packaging she's using and all the travel to and from those trade shows.

It's not unusual to make a good profit from "dessert-style" i.e un- or minimally decorated cakes. There was a member here who built her whole business on cakes like that (using mostly old-fashioned southern recipes). Not everyone is looking for a custom decorated cake that requires hours to decorate. For those people it's all about taste and not necessarily about appearance.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 8

A$48 for a mass-produced 8" cake with no decoration should be a profitable price point. Shipping is a wash ($35 to CA, which is about what Fedex charges for 2-day), and uniform packaging across the entire line helps keep costs down.

From their Yelp reviews there seem to be some customer service issues: http://www.yelp.com/biz/daisy-cakes-pauline

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 8

two possibilities, maybe three

1. they are acting, over dramatizing to bring interest to their show
  2. they were paid to say that, advertising for the cake business
  3. people say that about free cake all the time,  FREE is always raved about.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 8

AWow - those Yelp reviews are really scathing.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

two possibilities, maybe three

1. they are acting, over dramatizing to bring interest to their show
  2. they were paid to say that, advertising for the cake business
  3. people say that about free cake all the time,  FREE is always raved about.

4. They are always going to say that in case they wind up making a deal with the applicant.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 8

I thought about ordering from them to give it a taste, but got cheap. I'd rather order something more interesting for my dollar.

Anyway, my point for posting on this thread is...........MAN, you can not believe how they constantly send emails out! I don't want to receive 2 or email per week from ANY company. There isn't any content in the emails like a news letter....just a link to their site to buy a cake.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitches 

I thought about ordering from them to give it a taste, but got cheap. I'd rather order something more interesting for my dollar.

Anyway, my point for posting on this thread is...........MAN, you can not believe how they constantly send emails out! I don't want to receive 2 or email per week from ANY company. There isn't any content in the emails like a news letter....just a link to their site to buy a cake.

That's why my put in "junk mail" button is worn out.  Some business owners don't seem to understand that a bombing run of e-mails is unpleasant and unwelcome to some of us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%