Ready Royal Icing

Decorating By sergiosv Updated 15 Jan 2014 , 5:20pm by sergiosv

sergiosv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sergiosv Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 12:22am
post #1 of 11

hello everyone, this is my first thread, and I'm so happy to be part of this community!!

said that, I'm going to the point of my dilemma. :-)

I live in UK and i found this ready royal icing:

http://www.silverspoon.co.uk/products/decorating/icing-sugars/royal-icing-sugar

now can I use this to make it become stiff and fluffy like I see on all the tutorials??

I'm following a wilton class for flowers and piping techniques on crafsty and I would really love to get the same results...

thanks to all!! 

10 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 1:51am
post #2 of 11

sergiosv: I live in the US and use CK brand RI powder mix. 

It's just a matter of how much water you put in it to thin it.  At least that's been my experience over the years.  Also before you start coloring the icing, leave a quarter cup set aside well covered.  Just in case you over-water your icing you can add a little of the untouched icing back into the mix. 

The best answer is to Give it a Go, and play with it.

sergiosv Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 8:04am
post #3 of 11

AThanks.... And you also can manage do let the RI mix to gain volume? Thanks

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:50am
post #4 of 11

I always use a royal icing mix (UK), that exact one in fact. I started using it before I even knew people made their own, so I've never even tried (yet).

Maybe I'll try and see how a home-made one compares one day, but for now I'm perfectly satisfied with that one. Beat it a lot and add water very gradually....a little goes a very long way. Although if you do add too much, you can always put more of the powder in (or icing sugar if you used up all the RI mix).

sergiosv Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 11

AThanks rebecca...and this silverspoon mix become more voluminous with the beating?

Original message sent by rebecca67e

I always use a royal icing mix (UK), that exact one in fact. I started using it before I even knew people made their own, so I've never even tried (yet).

Maybe I'll try and see how a home-made one compares one day, but for now I'm perfectly satisfied with that one. Beat it a lot and add water very gradually....a little goes a very long way. Although if you do add too much, you can always put more of the powder in (or icing sugar if you used up all the RI mix).

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 11

well, I use royal icing a ton, but only really for decorating sugar cookies. I don't need the icing to be very voluminous. But yes, it definitely does get more so with a lot of beating. I'm just lazy and only mix it to the thickness that I need for cookies.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecca67e 

well, I use royal icing a ton, but only really for decorating sugar cookies. I don't need the icing to be very voluminous. But yes, it definitely does get more so with a lot of beating. I'm just lazy and only mix it to the thickness that I need for cookies.

rebecca67e:  I think that you're smart to do it this way.  If you overbeat you'll just end up with more air bubbles in the icing.  no need to beat it to death.

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 11

AThe only time I needed to beat royal icing was to practice some old-school Royal Icing clowns in class, you made the body, legs, and arms with a star tip (face, hands, feet with gum paste), and since it was beat, it gave them this "fluffy-ruffly" appearance, but not "super voluminous fluffy" just enough, as if they were made out of meringue.

Then again, we were using the recipe with egg whites plus powdered sugar and lemon juice, no powder mix. There are other recipes that call for meringue powder, I assume if you beat that you would end up with something more fluffy.

Try and Play.

sergiosv Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 7:58am
post #9 of 11

AThanks...that's all great tips. ... I'm need to use the RI to do flowers. . And the tutorial that I'm following show this fluffy RI... I'll definitely try to beat until gain mass....or i might try to add a TSP of merengue powder!!!! ;-)

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 11:57am
post #10 of 11

ASergio, what I meant for beating was "whipping" (sorry, English as 2nd language), with a hand mixer on low. It gave it a bit of volume, but never as meringue. Since it has so much Powdered Sugar, I doubt it would reach a high level of air inside.

Truth be told, you don't want that much air in the mix, or your piping work would be affected, see when you do lace work, or string work, you want your string to be continue, not to cut in the middle of the air because there was a bubble! Same way with flowers, you want them to have a smooth surface, not all bubbly that will pop when drying.

Still, I hope you find the texture you're looking for :)

sergiosv Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 11

AThank you so much for your help....yeah....to be true to much air may cause discontinuity... Anyway i will try and see!! ;-)

Original message sent by MyFairDiva

Sergio, what I meant for beating was "whipping" (sorry, English as 2nd language), with a hand mixer on low. It gave it a bit of volume, but never as meringue. Since it has so much Powdered Sugar, I doubt it would reach a high level of air inside.

Truth be told, you don't want that much air in the mix, or your piping work would be affected, see when you do lace work, or string work, you want your string to be continue, not to cut in the middle of the air because there was a bubble! Same way with flowers, you want them to have a smooth surface, not all bubbly that will pop when drying.

Still, I hope you find the texture you're looking for :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%