Fondant Ruffles For Round Cake Help

Decorating By sweetcheeks27 Updated 14 Jan 2014 , 1:42pm by sweetcheeks27

sweetcheeks27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcheeks27 Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 3

AHi! I have a 8 inch round 3 tier cake I am making and need to know how to do a layered ruffled fondant around the whole cake- like a multi layered skirt basically. How do I keep the fondant from drying out and being crispy or hard? Do I add something to it? Do I keep the cake well covered in a cake dish? I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you so much!

2 replies
MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 3

AHi Sweetcheeks,

When I attempted the ruffles cake I also came here for advice. I used home made fondant with a little CMC added, so maybe that's why it didn't turn quite as I envisioned it (My ruffles were all cracked because they dried fast), however my client was thrilled with it.

Mine wasn't a "skirt" as the ruffles were going upwards , but I imagine you can do it both ways altering the way you start gluing each piece to the cake.

I followed this method from Caljava:

There's also this one from Veena's Art of Cakes, which is petal ruffles:

plus a cocktail stick to give the ruffly effect.

One thing I can tell you, if it's your first ruffly experience, it's very time consuming, but the final effect is stunning. I don't know if I would make a whole 3 tier cake all in ruffles, maybe the middle cake of the 3? (did you mean 3 layers instead of tiers?).

Oh and to prevent the drying of the fondant, make sure you have a plastic sleeve handy to cover your flat pieces (before the ruffling).

HTH! :D

sweetcheeks27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcheeks27 Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 3

AThank you for the tips! And I did actually mean 3 layers... I don't know why I said tiers lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%