Cake Pops: Espresso Cake Base Flavor Goes Best With What Frosting?

Baking By vanillarella Updated 17 Jan 2014 , 4:43pm by craftybanana

vanillarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanillarella Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 6:14am
post #1 of 7

Hi, everyone! I'll be making cake pops for my birthday (and making them for the first time, note that) and will be using a Pastry Affair's White Chocolate Espresso Cake recipe. I'll be baking a small cake from that, and use up the rest to make cake pops. I was wondering, what frosting flavor would go best with the espresso cake base? I'm referring, of course, to the frosting that I have to use to make the crumbled cake 'stick' together. I don't really want the frosting to overwhelm the espresso flavor or anything like that, you see. Should a simple vanilla buttercream work? (I'll be using melted white chocolate for the cake pop shells, so I don't think I can use the white chocolate frosting in the recipe for the cake pop--err--'glue'. Or can I? What do you think?)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

6 replies
biscuiteater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biscuiteater Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 1:49am
post #2 of 7

Hi!  You could do a vanilla I think, but with the vanilla butter cream and the white chocolate the espresso flavor may be overpowered depending on your taste for espresso. 

You could flavor your buttercream with some coffee like this:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-coffee-buttercream-frosting-2

This is a SOOOO easy way to add coffee flavor to buttercream!!!

Just a suggestion.  I REALLY like coffee flavored anything.  So I like to make it somewhat strong! 

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 7

AI would say chocolate or just about any flavor you would get at a coffee shop would make a great frosting. Think Mocha lattes, Hazelnut Machiattos, Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, Vanilla bean, etc. Could add flavored coffee creamer to make your frosting. When I make my espresso brownies, I top them with Nutella (a chocolate hazelnut spread) while warm and it always goes fast!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 7

I love mocha with coffee but craftybanana has some great suggestions. :smile:

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 7

"When I make my espresso brownies, I top them with Nutella (a chocolate hazelnut spread) while warm and it always goes fast!"

Falls over dead from visions of deliciousness!!!

vanillarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanillarella Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 7

Such great suggestions! :D Thank you so much, everyone.:) (And good Lord, Nutella on espresso brownies I have never tried!

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 7

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillarella 

Such great suggestions! :D Thank you so much, everyone.:) (And good Lord, Nutella on espresso brownies I have never tried!

You should! spread it on while the brownies are warm... so mmmmmm Edit: goes well with a caramel machiatto... :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%