What Should A Good Hummingbird Cake Taste Like

Baking By sewsugarqueen Updated 8 Jan 2014 , 9:23pm by enga

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 4

It's difficult to judge if a recipe is great if you have never tasted that cake before. Let me first thank all you CC'er who have explained new cakes and flavours to all of us out there.  So this time it is Hummingbird Cake.  I have no bench mark to judge this.  I made the recipe from Delish... it was the lighter version with applesauce, less oil.  While a good moist cake I felt that it sort of just tasted like a banana cake with a touch of pineapple..  My crushed pineapple disappeared into the cake and never stood out.  So if anyone who actually grew up with this cake could  please let me know what it should taste like I would really appreciate it.

a) is flavour just a banana cake with pineapple chunks? Cinnamon was just barely there with 1tbs.

b) does a traditional Hummingbird cake always have shredded coconut and crushed pecans in cake batter?  Was that the missing ingredient to wow the cake? ( recipe I used didn't include this but looking online I found one that included this in batter.

I am determined to get this right so as soon as I shovel out my car will get more ingredients and try again.

3 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 4

It's a very rich and moist cake to start with sort of a take on carrot cakes.  The recipe originated in Jamaica.

a) is flavour just a banana cake with pineapple chunks? Cinnamon was just barely there with 1tbs.

Mainly yes but you could experiment.

b) does a traditional Hummingbird cake always have shredded coconut and crushed pecans in cake batter?  Was that the missing ingredient to wow the cake? ( recipe I used didn't include this but looking online I found one that included this in batter.

Not the coconut, if you want to give it a kick it a swift kick in the pants, brush each layer with a simple syrup made with Kentucky bourbon or rum, pineapple juice and sugar. For a truly drunken cake look up Lane cake,lol.

I am determined to get this right so as soon as I shovel out my car will get more ingredients and try again.

"Hummingbird cake
3 cups all-pupose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups salad oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts, divided
2 cups chopped bananas

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl; add eggs and salad oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not beat. Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup chopped pecans, and bananas. Spoon batter into 3 well-greased and floured 9-inch cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees F. For 25 to 30 minutes; remove from pans, and cool immediately. Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with 1 cup chopped pecans. Yield: one 9-inch layer cake.

Cream Cheese Frosting
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 (16 ounce) packages powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine cream cheese and butter; cream until smooth. Add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Yield: enough for a 3 layer cake

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your answer.  Your recipe has 2 cups of banana while mine only had 1 and half.. this should help flavour.  LOVE your idea for syrup on cake --- I will try that for my friends who I know do drink alcohol. 

Had no idea the cake originated in the islands... since I just heard about it 6 months ago I thought it was a Southern US cake like Red Velvet.  Great to know.

Have read about Lane cakes for years but never had opportunity to try one.. Are they that good?  I have a few recipe books that list them-- one from Louisiana and the other a Martha White cook book ( love Martha White flour--- I buy it if I am in the States).  I will try to make that cake next.  I am on a  mission to explore and try to new/ different cakes and get them right.:detective:

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 4

You're welcome sewsugarqueen. And yes, lane cakes are delicious. Good luck with your cakes!

I'm going to try my hand at a authentic Mud cake covered in ganache, I found some promising recipes on CC.;-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%