Whole Grain Pastry Flour

Decorating By CONFECTIONERIE Updated 8 Jan 2014 , 2:05am by CONFECTIONERIE

CONFECTIONERIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONERIE Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 12:03am
post #1 of 6

Alrighty, so here's my issue.  I have a really important cake sampling tomorrow and I just finished baking my sample white cake (I use the Cook's Illustrated white cake recipe.) but I used a whole grain pastry flour cause the market didn't have regular pastry flour.  Lo and behold, my white cake is friggin' yellow.  

Now I'm at a bit of an impasse.  Do I remake the cake with regular flour, and risk it being dense, or do I rock the yellow white cake?  It tastes glorious but I really don't want to mess up this tasting.

What do you guys suggest?

5 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 12:30am
post #2 of 6

What does the customer want - a white cake? Will they be interested in a wholegrain cake? Whole wheat pastry flour is a totally different product from white pastry flour. If I were in your position, I would also make the white cake using conventional pastry flour (what makes you think it might be dense?) and offer both for tasting.

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 12:38am
post #3 of 6

I think it'll be dense because I don't have white pastry flour, I have AP flour.

The tasting is for a caterer that I'm working out a contracted wedding cake wholesale dealio.  I don't really know if there's a professional term for it.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 1:01am
post #4 of 6
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 1:05am
post #5 of 6

AYou can make your own pastry flour by mixing 50/50 AP flour and cake flour (3/8 AP + 5/8 cake flour if you want to be more precise). You may want to consider remaking with pastry flour and offering the whole grain version as an option.

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/makeyourowningredients/qt/Pastry-Flour.htm

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 2:05am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the input guys!  I think I'm gonna cave and drive to the store (in the 8 degree weather, ugh) and pick up some up.  I'm really nervous about this tasting and I just want to make sure I do everything right.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%