Business By Paperfishies Updated 9 Jan 2014 , 6:58pm by Phaedramax

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 3:55am
post #31 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by leylaf 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I used to, until I figured out how much cake I was giving away! I switched charts, no one noticed, everyone still had plenty of cake, and I gave myself a raise.
Which chart are you using now? Some times i feel like im giving to much cake.. but wilton's chart seems too little.icon_sad.gif

A serving of cake is 1x2x4, 8 cubic inches. If you go to a volume calculator like this one http://www.online-calculators.co.uk/volumetric/cylindervolume.php it asks for the radius (half the diameter, which is the size of the round pan) an 8" pan has a 4" radius, and the cake is 4" tall, which calculates to 201.1428....cubic inches of cake. divide that by 8 and you get 25.125, or 25 servings of cake, each of them being 8 cubic inches. Wilton calls it 24. That is good enough for me. Go through and do that with all you pan sizes if you want. Wilton is pretty much dead on.

And I still think it is a generous slice of cake. For example, if you knock it on it's side, is a little bit smaller than 3 stacked iphone 4's, lol. I have a "cake slice dummy" I use to show people at consultations and nobody thinks it is too small.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 4:04am
post #32 of 44

8 cubic inches of cake?????   oh ma gawd

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 4:06am
post #33 of 44

AWelcome to merica, scarypam!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 4:17am
post #34 of 44

AIn Australia (and the UK) standard dessert-sized cake portions are 1"x2"x4". "Coffee" portions are half the size.

http://www.weddingchicks.com/2013/01/14/coffee-or-dessert-portions/

leylaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leylaf Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 4:42am
post #35 of 44

AOh wow.. you are right.. i was giving TOO MUCH cake.. thank you very much for the tip!!!

leylaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leylaf Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 5:00am
post #36 of 44

AWhare i come from (Uruguay) they sell cakes by weight (kilo).. thats why i was alittle comfuse about sizes and servings... All this time i was giving away alot of cake haha i can't belive it

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 5:34am
post #37 of 44

Quote:

I used to, until I figured out how much cake I was giving away! I switched charts, no one noticed, everyone still had plenty of cake, and I gave myself a raise.

You're in Kentucky as well!!! 

Here is what I am finding, even if it's at a venue, someone's great aunt doris is still the one who is cutting and serving the damn cake...and great aunt doris cuts gigantic pieces of cake!  I am almost certain that is what happened with the bride who told me they ran out of cake.

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 5:39am
post #38 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperfishies 

Quote:

You're in Kentucky as well!!! 

Here is what I am finding, even if it's at a venue, someone's great aunt doris is still the one who is cutting and serving the damn cake...and great aunt doris cuts gigantic pieces of cake!  I am almost certain that is what happened with the bride who told me they ran out of cake.

Yep! But I think you mean *big fat* great aunt Doris, with the big butcher knife, rather than a cake knife, lol, hacking it to crumbs, and making a mess!

Where are you in KY? I am in the northernmost tip. (YES, Even way father north than Leah_s, for those who wanted to dispute geography, lol.)

Paperfishies Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 5:43am
post #39 of 44

Quote:

Yep! But I think you mean *big fat* great aunt Doris, with the big butcher knife, rather than a cake knife, lol, hacking it to crumbs, and making a mess!

Where are you in KY? I am in the northernmost tip. (YES, Even way father north than Leah_s, for those who wanted to dispute geography, lol.)

Louisville, same as Leah

Paperfishies Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 5:44am
post #40 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

giving a range of servings adds confusion imo--how do you charge for that?

i would recommend charging for one certain amount--then add in enough additional servings incognito for your own security--

scrumdiddly--'when the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan--it's done' right? if it pulls away--it's smaller than it was--measure it--baked cakes are smaller than the pan--not so true for cheesecake--but true for most cakes--i mean when you ice it it's back to being the cake pan size--but the cake footprint itself is smaller than the pan-

When you say, "add in" additional servings, what do you mean by this? 

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 5:46am
post #41 of 44

Quote:

Quote:

Louisville, same as Leah

I used to live in Louisville, as a kid. I went to Slaughter Elementary, and then we moved to Valley Station, and then to Fort Knox.

Paperfishies Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 5:48am
post #42 of 44

Quote:

I used to live in Louisville, as a kid. I went to Slaughter Elementary, and then we moved to Valley Station, and then to Fort Knox.

I grew up in PRP, went to Presentation Academy for high school. I know where Slaughter is, my cousins went there. Small world! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 1:59pm
post #43 of 44
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

giving a range of servings adds confusion imo--how do you charge for that?

i would recommend charging for one certain amount--then add in enough additional servings incognito for your own security--

When you say, "add in" additional servings, what do you mean by this? 

i quietly provide more servings than i charge for--so in essence i am giving 'the range' we've talked about in other threads but i'm just only charging for the count they give me and i'm not telling them i give them more--their count is the low end of the range--but i have it all ready to explain in full detail if they come up short from letting aunts doris and louise alone with the cake and a machete knife--

but honestly i cannot remember one time having anyone come back & say not enough cake--but only because i wielded the (figurative) serving machete during the consult and made it crystal clear--keep the knife clean--i advise about loosing servings--how a wedding cake is built to serve (not crumble) and a knowledgeable person needs to be in charge -- all that blablabla

and fwiw it's not my concern if they have enough servings--it's my concern that i can prove that i made them more than they paid for--i've had brides with huge guest counts order 100 serving cakes knowing they would run out--that's all they could afford, they get their picture and then only a few get cake--like when the whole church is invited & stuff like that--

like maybe 15-20 servings extra or so--depends on the size of the cake--the actual extra amount of ingredients is not a real monetary loss so i make sure i feel good about what they get--

so that's what i meant

Phaedramax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phaedramax Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 6:58pm
post #44 of 44

When I owned a cake shop I cut a styro  measuring 1"wX2"dX31/2"h to show the wedding cake slice without icing or filling and reminding the bride that after a meal that is the recommended size serving.They could always order a larger cake but must always not necessary as we rounded the cake ser size to their benefit.Some people leave before cake is served if it's served too late.No one ever complained that they ran out of cake in the 35 yrs in business.Examples:

Party sev is always based on 2"x2"x2".

75ser-6/9/12

100-6/10/14

125-7/11/14  ect.

most always tiers should be 3" difference between them.The top was their first Anniversary to keep/with a box/board/instructions for freezing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%