Cake For Charity

Lounge By cakesrock Updated 6 Jan 2014 , 9:02pm by Snowflakebunny23

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 9

My daughter and I belong to a small Ukrainian dance group that is having our annual fundraiser in a couple of weeks. They are desperate for silent auction items (I have already provided 2 corporate donations, though I provided NONE last year)

I am thinking of donating a custom special event/b-day cake. But not sure how to word it? I do this for a hobby, am a one man show and so I need to put some limits on it. I was thinking something like:

Auction item: 1 custom birthday/special event cake (not wedding) serving up to 15. Your choice of flavour (chocolate, vanilla, red velvet) and choice of fondant or buttercream.

Do I included delivery or would it be pick up. Or say delivery included if within 25 mile(?) radius of my home?

How do I word that it excludes vacation times (when I'm away)? which I don't even know yet!

How do I say it is limited to what is reasonable? For instance, if they want something that cannot be done in BC, only fondant, but they don't want fondant?

Do I display examples of my work?

or is this just not a good idea?

Would appreciate your advice! Dont' want to get myself into a bind here. It's not just families of dancers, it's open to the public as well...

Thanks!

:)

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 9

one way is to make a display cake and say "you get this for pick up on any friday/saturday within the next 90 days, serves 15" 

but honestly for 15 servings i would go for a super ingredient rich decadent cake rather than a decorated one but that's just moi--

or just put out a generous amount of samples and present 15 wildly delicious decadent cupcakes full of outrageous fillings and toppings and go on the impulse factor--just get the peeps tastes buds flapping in their own ear--

keep it simple

Custom Cookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Custom Cookies Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 9

Couldn't you just present a "Gift Certificate" for a set amount?  Maybe you could show some photos of your cakes that would fit into that amount.  That way it would be treated like any order, where it is subject to your availability and do-ability.

I don't do cakes, only cookies, but this has worked for me.  Good luck!

ShandiKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandiKakes Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 9

I once did something like this.  I actually "donated" two birthday cakes and the lady running the "thing" (it was some sort of Facebook thing where it got you page likers and then people "won"  what was donated.  Long story short, this lady running this "thing" ended up awarding BOTH of my certificates to the SAME  PERSON who was her best friend!  My certificates were for $25 toward a birthday cake.  Great.  I told her that they were not intended to be given to the same  person but rather to two different people.  She wouldn't do anything about it..  

I ended up hearing from the girl that "won" both certificates almost immediately.  She had $50 in "free"cake after all.  So, she ordered a two tiered fondant cake, edible image, fondant decorations, zebra stripes,the works.  When I gave her the total of $85 she had a fit.  She thought she'd get all of that for free.  She ended up paying me the $35 over her $50 certificates and that was that.  

The day after her daughter's party she posted photos on my FB page ranting and raving how the cake was so good and everyone including her daughter just loved it.  

A week later I woke up to a FB message from her saying the cake was dry and fell apart and was just a disaster.  I have the photos she sent me that showed the cake intact and everyone was enjoying it.  Rather than bickering with her about it, I just refunded her $35 and swore to never EVER do something like that again.  She responded with "oh well I wasn't asking for a refund.  I didn't set out to get this all for free."  

yea, sure ya didn't.  HAHA

Never spoke to her again.

My advice is just to be very specific about your offer and try to think of all the ways people try to get somethig for nothing, if that is possible.  Have fun with it, just cover your tushy.  haha

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 9

A

Original message sent by Custom Cookies

Couldn't you just present a "Gift Certificate" for a set amount?  Maybe you could show some photos of your cakes that would fit into that amount.  That way it would be treated like any order, where it is subject to your availability and do-ability.

I was going to suggest this, but OP does this as a hobby and does not have a legal business so she would not be able to accept money for orders.

I would recommend offering a coupon for a specific size cake for pickup only, minimum X advance notice required, subject to your availability.

Custom Cookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Custom Cookies Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

I was going to suggest this, but OP does this as a hobby and does not have a legal business so she would not be able to accept money for orders.

I would recommend offering a coupon for a specific size cake for pickup only, minimum X advance notice required, subject to your availability.

You're right; I missed the phrase where she said it was a hobby.  Sorry about that.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 9

i mean she might not want to accept money for an order but where is the evidence that she would not be able to accept money? are there across the board regulations of some kind that prohibit home hobby cakers from accepting money for a cake?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i mean she might not want to accept money for an order but where is the evidence that she would not be able to accept money? are there across the board regulations of some kind that prohibit home hobby cakers from accepting money for a cake?

Yes, there are stringent rules here so I'm strictly hobby at this point. I did do cakes for cost of ingredients at one point when I was learning, but I actually lost money, was really stressed and still had my day job and 2 kids etc...not worth it for me.

I think I would rather offer up a coupon. However, just brought the idea up to DH and he thinks I'll regret it. I have so much going on and it will likely come at a time when it's not convenient....

Thanks so for all your feedback and suggestions! You've given me a lot to think about....not sure I will do it, but maybe next year!

Terri

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 9

I have done a couple of charity cakes and offer them a voucher for a specific cake, my 'chocolate decadence cake'.  I know exactly how much it costs to make, how long it takes and it can be personalised to different occasions easily...and touch wood, I haven't met many people who don't like chocolate ;-)  Someone did ask me once if I would make the cake for the event and bring it but I didn't see the point as the recipient may not have a need to eat 8" of chocolate cake before it was past its best.  This way, people can order them to coincide with birthdays and hopefully lots of people will get to try it :-)  My terms are generally, 'subject to availability [assuming I am there], should be booked 2 weeks in advance, valid for 6 months from date on front of voucher.'  HTH xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%