Best And Easiest Way To Make A Football Cake Topper?

Decorating By kellyk1234 Updated 9 Jan 2014 , 3:32pm by kellyk1234

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 3

AI'm making a 3 tiered cake with a (american) football on top, I want it to be approx. 5 inches wide, what is the best way to do this to get it even and smooth without making it free handed? I know if I try to "sculpt" it myself it will come out uneven and the points at the ends won't be straight. Is there some mold that anyone can suggest? And is it better to use fondant or modeling chocolate to make it? Thanks!

2 replies
cakechemist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechemist Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 1:08am
post #2 of 3

AI'm sure there is a chocolate mold out there, but of you where in a pinch (time and money) you could pick up a cheap children's football made out of hollow plastic. cut it in half and cover each part with plastic wrap (to prevent getting plastic in your fondant), then form your fondant (or chocolate, whatever) over the two halves. Once they are dry you can join them with edible adhesive. This way, the piece isn't solid so it won't be as heavy or require tons of fondant.

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! I didn't think about laying the fondant over the outside, just thought about putting the fondant in the inside of the football, but that would be a lot of fondant. Will have to try this! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%