Cheese Flavored Cake?

Baking By hitzphillygirl Updated 29 Jan 2014 , 8:20am by Annabakescakes

hitzphillygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hitzphillygirl Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 12

Perhaps an odd request, but I am looking for a cheddar cheese flavored cupcake. I'm entering a cupcake competition to benefit my city's biggest food bank. The kicker is that each competitor's cupcake must be inspired by a 'high priority item' that might be donated to a food bank. Naturally, being a huge fan of mac & cheese, that's what I chose for my inspiration item.

I have found some recipes online for cheese flavored cupcakes (though, most of them are in grams, so I will have to find a way to convert them). However, while I'd like the flavor of the cheese to stand out, I want the cupcake to be a bit more sweet than savory. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

11 replies
CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 12:03am
post #2 of 12

ACould you do something with the components of Branson pickle for the sweet bit, and maybe more of a muffin than a cake? Just make it look like a cupcake?

hitzphillygirl Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 12:21am
post #3 of 12

It did cross my mind to do something more of a muffin, so I will definitely experiment with that. I will need to decide on a type of topping, too (whether it be a glaze or a frosting of sorts), but I suppose I'll have to see what the cake will taste like before deciding what kind of topping would pair well with it.

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 12:48am
post #4 of 12

AJust a thought but what about caramelised smoke bacon topping - caramelise ur bacon with maple syrup maybe? That would def go with a mature cheddar cheese muffin. Yummy!

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 12:54am
post #5 of 12

AEasiest solution to this would b to get yourself a cheaply scale (bed bath beyond has a digital scale for like $20) I use mine all the time and it will convert to grams so just weigh out your ingredients on the scale:)

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 1:37am
post #6 of 12

It depends upon what the contest rules say they are looking for, no? If it's got to be a 'cupcake' I take that as being different than a 'muffin'. So beware of changing up your recipe too much to be muffin like. Also remember usually the simpler recipes win....

I seriously wonder what a standard white cake tastes like with cheddar added. It might be good.

I love sweet and salty combo's a lot! You might not need to make your cupcake too savory.

I like Cakechemistrys combo.........but maybe change it up with a smoked sea salt and bacon jam. Bacon jam would be a nice texture in my opinion (less chewy).. I also like smoked paprika with sea salt. oh, and pears or apples go well with cheese and bacon....and pretzels.....

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 2:22am
post #7 of 12

AMmmmmmmmmm...... Stitches pear or apple with the cheese I just may have to try this out! I did the chocolate bacon combo for the last cake I made and it was awesome!

hitzphillygirl Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone!

Another one of our inspiration items is Goldfish crackers. Perhaps we'll just use that as a garnish on top. We want our cupcake to smile!

hitzphillygirl Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 12

I'm also open to ideas for incorporating macaroni noodles somehow... While my items are meant to be used for inspiration (i.e.- we don't have to literally use all of the ingredients from our inspiration items), I'd love to get the macaroni in there somehow. Or something that can resemble a noodle, or the flavor of one.

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitzphillygirl 

I'm also open to ideas for incorporating macaroni noodles somehow... While my items are meant to be used for inspiration (i.e.- we don't have to literally use all of the ingredients from our inspiration items), I'd love to get the macaroni in there somehow. Or something that can resemble a noodle, or the flavor of one.

Run your fondant thru a pasta machine that makes macaroni noodles.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcase68 

Run your fondant thru a pasta machine that makes macaroni noodles.

Can you do that with white chocolate plastic so it's more edible? That would be fun!

Hum.... goldfish crackers.......I see a blue velvet cupcake, with waves of frosting and goldfish jumping on top.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 8:20am
post #12 of 12

Add a packet of that powdered cheese to your cupcake recipe. Let me know what it tastes like :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%