Devil's Food Cake Vs Regular Chocolate Cake

Baking By Paperfishies Updated 2 Jan 2014 , 1:29am by -K8memphis

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 7

What's the difference in your opinion?

Doing a search on the interwebz, it seems everyone has their own idea of what Devil's food cake is.

IMO, devil's good cake is very similar to the Hershey's perfect chocolate cake recipe that is on the cocoa powder containter.  Very moist, very fine crumb. 

I am doing a simple birthday cake friday and his favorite cake is "Devil's food cake" and I am having a bit of trouble deciding what I'm going to do, lol.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 7

idk the difference exactly but this is a quintessential devil's food cake in my book--the picture doesn't do it justice

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/red-devils-food-cake/867adb8c-54a3-4f56-88f4-c6e464426412

there's no red color added--it's a chemical process happens during the bake--and if you were to try this i'd recommend getting real buttermilk 

and i mean you cannot beat a texas sheet cake for some chocolate cake heaven--glory to god

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 7

I think the Hersheys recipe is simply perfect as it is. It's just like the Hostess HoHo's and Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes that billions and billions of people have eaten. 

If a hundred bakers want to invent a recipe and call it their own, they'd almost have to call it Devils Food cake,  as they can't use the "Hersheys" brand name in their recipe title. About the only difference I find in DF is buttermilk.

But really what is better - taste and texture wise than your "Hersheys" cake for a simple Happy Birthday cake.  I'd put some red food coloring in it and call it a Red Devils Food cake for your friend.

Good Luck

mb

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 12:58am
post #4 of 7

AI was just given a devils food cake recipe by someone because I wanted to try a different recipe, other than the regular chocolate recipe. I can't wait to try it, is devils food cake good for tiering cakes also? I know that the more dense a cake is the better, but DFC is kinda moist and soft so I was just wondering.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 1:01am
post #5 of 7
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 1:20am
post #6 of 7

auzzi:  that's an interesting website.  thanks for sharing.  (That applesauce recipe looked yummy.)

Devil's Food cake.......so full of rich dark chocolate that it's sinful to eat.  Works for me. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 1:29am
post #7 of 7

great article, auzzi, thanks for posting it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%