How To Make A Dog House Bday Cake

Decorating By MandaMoh3 Updated 8 Jan 2014 , 10:19pm by -K8memphis

MandaMoh3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaMoh3 Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 10

ALooking to get any suggestions on house to build this Dog House cake as well as the puppy in front of it. I will need to feed about 30 people. She is wanting strawberry cake, mine tends to be very moist, any suggestions on how to make it more dense in order to cut it to shape?

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3160080/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 10

would need to know more about your strawberry cake formula to advise as to how to make it more dense--but you can always freeze your cake to sculpt the roof and this is no other sculpting--very straightforward--i'd just dowel under the roof--pretty easy--

the scale of the house for 30 traditional size servings would be 6x8x5 with the 6 inches being across the front the 8 the length and five inches high just up to the triangle roof piece--then the triangle should be 4 to 5 inches tall at it's peak----so you'll get 24 servings out of the bottom of the dog house and at least 6 out of the roof area--

i'd do a decorated cookie for the dog--

idk--strawberry cakes are kinda fussy so i think i'd stick with my tried & true if it was me--i mean a strawberry box mix wasc would be pretty sturdy too-- a pound cake with strawberry filling swirled through it would be quite sturdy...

MandaMoh3 Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 10

AWould it be easier to stack the cakes and just cut the roof off the sides?

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 10

if you want to bake extra cake that will be discarded--but don't forget to board & dowel--

i would not do it that way but that's one way to do it--

i would cut two 6" square cake layers from corner to corner and stack them cut side down one after the other to form the roof--

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 10

Martha Stewart had once a house made out of cake. The roof was just a square cake cut in triangles. Not sure if you can use that idea or not, depending on how big your house is going to be. It's an old magazine. I found a mention and a scan in this thread. You could make it more square.

http://cakecentral.com/t/55645/anyone-ever-try-martha-stewarts-gingerbread-house-cake

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 10

probably need to add a layer under the triangles to get it to height of 5" at the peak

or use 8" squares instead of 6" ones

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 10

but that's way too many servings too--almost double--with the 8" cakes for the roof you got over 50 servings--

30 servings is a small dog house--i'd use the 6" squares and it won't be exactly to scale of the drawing--but no need to use all that cake that's not being paid for--the roof will be shorter --

MandaMoh3 Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 10

AThank you all so much!

MandaMoh3 Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 10

I guess I'm just second guessing myself. but how many layers (of the rectangle bottom) would you suggest doing? 2? 3? I'm doing this for my best friends little girl, so I'm not too concerned about "wasting" cake. lol

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 10

just depends on how tall you want the house to be--depends on your scale--

2, 3 or 4 would be fine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%