Beginner Needs Baking Help!!

Decorating By scurry1219 Updated 1 Jan 2014 , 4:55pm by scurry1219

scurry1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scurry1219 Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 4

AHi! I'm a art teacher and graphic designer. I would really love to be a cake artist. My only problem is that I can't bake!!! I can naturally design and sculpture any layers given to me but I can't bake them myself!!! I want to be able to design the entire cake from beginning to end.... Please give me some advice on what type of cake recipes to use with fondant and how to bake perfect layers? I'm really eager to get this passion of mine rolling!![B[/B]

3 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 4

There are tons of cake recipes on here, try them.  Keep reading about baking techniques.  Secret recipes aren't shared but basic ones are.  I recommend you read "The Cake Bible."  It's awesome!

Also, if you want to make a delicious cake to decorate, you can use the WASC (White almond sour cream) recipe.  Do a search for WASC.   It's based from a mix but it's delicious and always comes out perfectly.

I am not a great cake baker, I sell my cakes made from WASC and people love them.  The decorations are my thing.  Although, I'm still not perfect with those either.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 4

and to get perfect layers use bake-even strips!  They take the trimming out of getting perfect layers.

scurry1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scurry1219 Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 4

AThx!!! Very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%