Edible Ink Printer

Business By Tessie2135 Updated 3 Jan 2014 , 3:14am by icingimages

Tessie2135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tessie2135 Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 6

Do many bakers use this?  Do people in the cake business find that printed images are frequently requested?  To tell the truth, I;m not the biggest fan of printed images on a cake, I like old school frosting, piping or fondant.  I'm sure it is requested for kids with cartoon characters. What is your experience?

5 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 6

AWe use them quite often. I'm not a big fan either, but not about to turn down orders on artistic principle because I don't consider it art.

We never just plop down an EI and call it good - we always have a border and maybe som simple flowers - always something to make it "more".

Lots of people order just EIs to use on their own cakes - or they order cakes with pics on them.

We use them often for things like monograms for wedding cakes and logos for corporate orders.

jerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerlady Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with Godot that they do have other uses.  Here is a cake that I made using edible printer.  At first I was going to make characters (in layers) out of fondant, which would have taken a bit of time.  I had an "ah ha" moment and printed these up and pasted on fondant. Got them done in like 10 minutes.  Although the flowers are fondant, the tree and characters are all edible images...

Tessie2135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tessie2135 Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 1:34am
post #4 of 6

Thanks, good to know.  That is a pretty cake! Not just a cake with a picture slapped on it. :)

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 3:24am
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerlady 

I agree with Godot that they do have other uses.  Here is a cake that I made using edible printer.  At first I was going to make characters (in layers) out of fondant, which would have taken a bit of time.  I had an "ah ha" moment and printed these up and pasted on fondant. Got them done in like 10 minutes.  Although the flowers are fondant, the tree and characters are all edible images...

Wow, that's a really good use of EI ......it does make me think differently about them. Godot how do you use them for monograms on wedding cakes?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 3:14am
post #6 of 6

Edible printing is no longer about slapping a picture on a cake and serving it up.  It has come such a long way. We have been in the edible printing supply business for 14 years and more recently we introduced several new products which take it beyond the image.  For example, iDesigns. This is a program that has over 1600 different images that are licnesed for edible use.  THey are chosen by top decorators such as CMSA Mike Terry, CMSA Peggy Tucker, Jay Qualls, Sidney Galpern and so many more leading decorators who choose designs that they use to accent cakes they make.  They use the designs to create flowers, borders and more.  There are just things that no matter how artistic you are you cannot reproduce or the time it would take would price your cakes out of reach when the decorator can use their talents on other parts of the cake.  In addition, we introduced the Silhouette Cameo electronic cutter and the Sweet Accents food safe die cutting and embossing system.  Both cut icing sheets, but the Silhouette cuts electronically shapes and designs while you can spend your time on other parts of the cake saving you time thus money.  The Sweet Accents takes the iDesigns and cuts and embossing the iDesign edible prints.  This type of decorating cannot be reproduced by hand.  So not just about the picture on the cake.  That can be part of your creation, but its more about what you can use it to to go beyond the image! It's up to you, sometimes you have to give your customer exactly what they want and slap that picture on a cake, but you can always go a little above and add that accent that keeps them coming back to you for amazing decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%