Coloring Mmf After The Sugar?

Decorating By momoftwogirls Updated 19 Sep 2005 , 11:53am by momoftwogirls

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 2:17am
post #1 of 7

I have read that it is best to color the MMF before adding the sugar, but I need to make four different colors with one batch. How shall I go about doing it? Should I just make the MMF and then seperate into fours and then color?

Also do you just use wilton icing colors to color it with? this is my first time. and do I just add it a little at a time like with icing until I get the color I want?

Thank you for your response.
Christina

6 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 2:22am
post #2 of 7

I would make the MMF first, separate what you need, and then knead the color into the fondant. Make sure to wear disposable rubber gloves (like the ones you see in med kits) or otherwise you will have very colorful hands. icon_eek.gif
And yes, you can use wilton colors just fine. Just make sure to knead the color in very well if you aren't going for the marbled color look.

momoftwogirls Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 2:37am
post #3 of 7

great! thanks mouse!! I am glad you suggested the gloves - I would have never thought of them and would have very pretty colored hands!!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 2:51am
post #4 of 7

momoftwogirls-you don't really need to use gloves. just rub a little shortening into your hands and it will form a barrier for the coloring. It should wash right off. Just try not to get any under your nails. icon_biggrin.gif

Got this idea off of a cooking show where they were doing beets. Kept her hands clean!

Ali

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 4:45am
post #5 of 7

I just tried making MMF today for the first time. I colored mine after adding the sugar and when it was fairly cool.. I just divided it into the amounts I needed and added some wilton paste colors. It worked really well and was easy to knead into the MMF.
Liz

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 5:07am
post #6 of 7

When you have large batches to do is the only time you really should add color to your mmf before adding the suger after wards in small batches it no big deal....but before...whew your hands will fell like they want to die! j/k

momoftwogirls Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 11:53am
post #7 of 7

I think I will be making it tomorrow night. I am really nervous. I need it to work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%