Birthday Lace

Decorating By arlenej Updated 31 Dec 2013 , 1:10pm by DeniseNH

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all in CCland!

I'm S-O-O EXCITED! My birthday just went and a friend asked me what I'd like. So of course I said cake toys. He looked puzzled. then said okay, just let him know what. I've been wanting to try lace for a while, so my question is: Crystal lace, Dab, Flexi-paste, Sugarveil? What have you guys tried? Which did you like (or not)? What was easiest to use? Which tasted better? Is there anybody who tried more than one product?

5 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 2:49am
post #2 of 6

Come to my class in April and I'll teach you how to screen print it :) (Shameless, I know).

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 3:24am
post #3 of 6

I just tried DAB and LOVE it - with one exception.  Buy the lace molds but research where you can get a wide assortment for very few dollars.  Secondly, don't pay for the DAB paste, use your own homemade gumpaste.  Works beautifully - you might need to soften it up a bit with Crisco, two drops of water or a few seconds in the microwave before spreading.  I tried the DAB gumpaste but it lacked the stretch I needed - and it's expensive.  I also tried the DAB lace molds with Unbreakable Lace and it's the best - a little bit cleaner looking lace than the gumpaste (just a little) BUT Unbreakable Lace took 5 hours to cure so I couldn't take it out of the lace mold for several hours.  With the gumpaste, I could remove the lace in 30 seconds.  Hope this helps you out.  Haven't heard of the other two you mentioned.

arlenej Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 6

Sorry sweetie, I'm in the Caribbean. I don't envision travelling anytime soon..

arlenej Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 4:31am
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseNH 

I just tried DAB and LOVE it - with one exception.  Buy the lace molds but research where you can get a wide assortment for very few dollars.    I also tried the DAB lace molds with Unbreakable Lace

Where did you get your molds? and what is Unbreakable lace?

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 6

I wasn't sure they would allow me to say the name of the place I got the mold - let's see if this works.  If not, private message me.  Go to AliExpress and key in DAB or blue silicone lace mold.  They have a ton and at the very best price.  Unbreakable lace is SugarVeil.  Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%