How To Handle Cupcake Display Rentals

Baking By KMianecki Updated 24 Dec 2013 , 3:31pm by KMianecki

KMianecki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMianecki Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 8

I just bought a VERY nice cupcake display (with lighting). I want to rent it out for weddings with my cupcakes. Do any of you do this? If so, how do you handle the pick up? Do you just go the next morning to the hall, take it apart, and bring it home? This tower is really nice and has some glass components that I don't really want anyone but me touching.....any tips would be great....:)

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 8

you're not gonna like my best tip -- don't rent stuff out ;)

no but i got tired early on of trying to get my equipment back so i just started adding in the cost and letting it go--get tossed out or whatever because that's what often happened anyhow--

there are plenty of peeps who do rentals and they will advise you i'm sure--

but the idea of leaving it overnight in a hall is a quite iffy to bordering on a very bad idea--

you'd have to pick it up that night if you don't want anyone else to touch it--who would be responsible for it if you left it overnight--

KMianecki Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 12:52am
post #3 of 8

AYeah, I see what you mean. Thanks for responding.I guess I have a few things to think about. This display was gorgeous and I couldn't pass it up. I suppose I could just use it at bridal shows. At least then I would get some use out of it....:)

KMianecki Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 2:02am
post #4 of 8

K8memphis, do you order from cupcaketree.com? What do you use to "fancy up" the cardboard? Would contact paper work? 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 3:24am
post #5 of 8

no, never ordered from there--

i use the wilton brand foil to cover bottom boards--it is food safe -- comes in gold and a silver that does not resemble aluminum foil--

and i use fondant, cloth and lace to cover boards--'

for random projects i use paper lace doilies too--like a 3-d cookie or something

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 3:36am
post #6 of 8

AI have rented. My cupcake tower. I put both a rental and a deposit on it. Both fees are enough to replace it every time it goes out. The deposit. Is refundable and its high enough that they return my stuff. But if they don't they've bought me a new one.

OTOH, my candy buffet serveware is glass. I pick that up at the end of the reception. I once got there to find the bride loading it into her van. Yeah.

KMianecki Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 8

Hi Leah, Wow thanks for the advice! My biggest worry is that my tower (though easy to dismantle) is very heavy. In between the tiers are glass vases. I would hate to see these get damaged. I think I'll maybe just put a high rental price on it, making it worth my trip to pick it up at 10:30 at night! :) 

KMianecki Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 8

K8memphis, I forgot about the Wilton foil! Great idea. I think I will order a few "disposable" towers to have on hand. I'm still happy I bought this elaborate tower though, it will look nice at shows at least. ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%