Cut Cake To Correct Size?

Decorating By smtwngurl Updated 19 Dec 2013 , 10:47pm by howsweet

smtwngurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smtwngurl Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 11:48am
post #1 of 14

AI'm not sure if I have this posted in the correct forum. I have only done about 20 cakes so I am fairly new to making cakes. I have a square tiered cake due soon. The tiers are 6", 8" & 10". I have a ton of pans but I only have 3 square pans sizes 8", 12" & 16". I hardly ever have to make squares. Can I cut the 12" down to a 10" & the 8" down to a 6"? Would it be less stable because the sides are cut? I didn't want to go buy new pans since I barely ever make square, but I will if I have too :) once in 2 yrs is all I have used them lol. It will be iced in all buttercream. Thanks!

13 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 14

Sure, you could cut them.  Just put a hell of a crumb coat on before icing it, and make sure you don't use too delicate of a recipe.

Bakers Crush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakers Crush Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 14

AFor sure you can. Dont we all do cut outs of shapes and characters from cakes all the time?

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 14

You might want to check out your local cake supply shop first, though, and see if they hire out tins.  I know several near me who do for only £1 or so per night - it would save on wastage as you wouldn't have to cut the cake smaller.

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 14

AYes just get a drum of the new size, put it on top and hold the knife vertical and flat to it.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakemaker 

Yes just get a drum of the new size, put it on top and hold the knife vertical and flat to it.

yup, and I like to trim the inside edges too. for one thing, then they will be the same height and so that the flat edges stick together (with a good bit of BC) Oh, wait, you're making smaller cakes, not larger....never mind. :D

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 14

AWouldn't it make more sense to cut the 12 inch into four 6x6 layers? And do the same with the 16 inch pan to get 8x8 layers?

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 1:40am
post #8 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

Wouldn't it make more sense to cut the 12 inch into four 6x6 layers? And do the same with the 16 inch pan to get 8x8 layers?

Howsweet.?  Good thinking batman

smtwngurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smtwngurl Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 5:45am
post #9 of 14

AHowsweet- Haha yes I guess it would make much more sense. I don' know why I didn't think of that.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 7:22am
post #10 of 14

AYou can definitely cut your cakes-howsweet has the right idea.

Personally, if you're planning on selling cakes you might want to invest in the extra pans. I use these sizes a lot. I realize starting out there are many costs, but if you make many (or plan to) wedding cakes round & square pans are what I use the most.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 14

Isn't that what you do anyway, if you level tops or split layers?

howsweet Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 14

AI find that since most of my cakes are 4 layers, using, say, a 16x16 to make an 8 inch cake is the most efficient way to go about it. Fewer pans to prepare for baking and fewer to wash and store. More space in the oven for other cakes to bake at the same time. Especially since I don't torte. I don't torte because I find the cakes come out moister without overcooked areas by baking all four layers separately.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 14

be sure to measure your oven first. A 16x16 does not fit in my oven. It's just the tiniest bit too large. 

howsweet Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 10:46pm
post #14 of 14

That's a really good point!  :D 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%