Hot Hot Hot!!

Decorating By lilmiss1337 Updated 27 Dec 2013 , 2:09am by fcakes

lilmiss1337 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmiss1337 Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 8:18am
post #1 of 16

AI am making a 3D minecraft cake for my brother birthday this weekend. It's going to be 40+ degrees (that's 104+ for Americans). What's the best icing to use? The cake will be inside and refrigerated as much as possible but still in that kind of heat. I'm afraid that buttercream will melt to easily! I'm using fondant as well. Just don't want everything sliding everywhere!! Thanks

15 replies
fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 16

You could try Indydebi's buttercream recipe - search for that online. It is heat stable - tried and tested!! 

lilmiss1337 Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 16

AThanks fcakes. But unfortunately it has to be dairy free... Odd I know. But thanks anyways

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 16

perhaps it would be a good idea to put the information that it must be dairy free into your original post? A lot of people will read your original post then reply with similar advice to that which you have been given.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 16

Do you not have have air-con?   I'm also in Australia (just over the mountain from you!

IMO decoraters that don't have access to air-con are seriously hampered in our summer.

A ganached cake once set properly can be covered in fondant and will be fine if temps are 23-25degrees

MOST Australians have air conditioning, even if it is only 1 room, 99.9% of cars are air-conditioned and depending on the choice of venue.... MOST of those are air-conditioned too.

I know a lot of people on here will give you advice on refrigerating cakes...... I can only speak for myself and a lot of my Australian colleagues......    DO NOT refrigerate a fondant covered cake.

Especially in these current heatwave conditions.   Once removed from the fridge you WILL get condensation (because the difference in the outside temperature)  YES - I have tried the 'in a box trick' STILL had issues.

You CAN pop your ganached cake into the fridge to hasten set up - just don't leave it in there long enough for the centre of the cake to chill.  You will need to ensure it is room temp all the way through before you try to cover with fondant  -  insert a metal skewer into centre and feel it to see if it is cold

ApplegumPam Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 16

PS  - before you ask....    you CAN substitute coconut cream for the cream in your ganache  :)

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 1:21am
post #7 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmiss1337 

I am making a 3D minecraft cake for my brother birthday this weekend. It's going to be 40+ degrees (that's 104+ for Americans). What's the best icing to use? The cake will be inside and refrigerated as much as possible but still in that kind of heat. I'm afraid that buttercream will melt to easily! I'm using fondant as well. Just don't want everything sliding everywhere!! Thanks

Dubbo, huh?  Warmish? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......

You have my sympathy, but since I'm a Yank in the States, much of the advice you may be given is for recipes/ingredients etc. that are not available in Dubbo or Sydney, for that matter. 

Applegum Pam is a superb resource!  (LOVE your work, Applegum Pam!) 

Good luck on your brother's cake and tell him Happy Birthday from San Diego!

ApplegumPam Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 5:01am
post #8 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

Quote:

I am making a 3D minecraft cake for my brother birthday this weekend. It's going to be 40+ degrees (that's 104+ for Americans). What's the best icing to use? The cake will be inside and refrigerated as much as possible but still in that kind of heat. I'm afraid that buttercream will melt to easily! I'm using fondant as well. Just don't want everything sliding everywhere!! Thanks

Dubbo, huh?  Warmish? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......

You have my sympathy, but since I'm a Yank in the States, much of the advice you may be given is for recipes/ingredients etc. that are not available in Dubbo or Sydney, for that matter. 

Applegum Pam is a superb resource!  (LOVE your work, Applegum Pam!) 

Good luck on your brother's cake and tell him Happy Birthday from San Diego!

aaaa fanks Apti !

For all you Yanks shovelling sh..   ..... ooops SNOW  hahaha    today has hit 41 here - and the lead up to Christmas looks much the same for us.

I can handle the heat ..... just go from pool to air-con and back to pool again...... just keep those bushfires at bay  :(

Sounds like thunderstorm on its way ..... and lightning is NOT a good thing on super dry hot days 

lilmiss1337 Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 16

A[quote name="ApplegumPam" url="/t/766590/hot-hot-hot#post_7470428"]Do you not have have air-con?   I'm also in Australia (just over the mountain from you!

IMO decoraters that don't have access to air-con are seriously hampered in our summer.

A ganached cake once set properly can be covered in fondant and will be fine if temps are 23-25degrees

MOST Australians have air conditioning, even if it is only 1 room, 99.9% of cars are air-conditioned and depending on the choice of venue.... MOST of those are air-conditioned too.

I know a lot of people on here will give you advice on refrigerating cakes...... I can only speak for myself and a lot of my Australian colleagues......    DO NOT refrigerate a fondant covered cake.

Especially in these current heatwave conditions.   Once removed from the fridge you WILL get condensation (because the difference in the outside temperature)  YES - I have tried the 'in a box trick' STILL had issues.

You CAN pop your ganached cake into the fridge to hasten set up - just don't leave it in there long enough for the centre of the cake to chill.  You will need to ensure it is room temp all the way through before you try to cover with fondant  -  insert a metal skewer into centre and feel it to see if it is cold

No we don't have air con. It's a small unite. As mentions before it has to be dairy free. Ganache is impossible to make with out cream. But thanks anyway!

ApplegumPam Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 16

Quote:

Ganache is impossible to make with out cream. But thanks anyway!

That's why I posted directly afterwards...... substitute coconut cream in your ganache....... NOT impossible at all - I do it ALL the time for dairy-free ganache!!

Apti Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 16

Get out of town!  You can make ganache without dairy?????   Sheesh..... just about the time I think I'm getting most of this cake stuff, I keep finding out new and wonderful secrets. 

lilmiss~~no aircon?  You have my sympathy.  Just remember that your brother will LOVE his cake no matter how it turns out!!!

ApplegumPam~~Actually, I live in San Diego where it is a very reasonable 9C to 24C.  I call my huge extended family that live in Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska and s****** quite a bit around this time of year.  They start loving me again around April. 

lilmiss1337 Posted 21 Dec 2013 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 16

AApplegumPam: coconut would tast funny in dark chocolate wouldn't it?? I guess whatever works!!

Apti: Yes no air con sucks! This time last year I was very pregnant and we has a week straight of 41+ degree days!! Nearly killed me.

The cake turned out pretty good I must say. I could only have it out for 5 mins before it would start melting, so it took a little longer to decorate but I got there!! Thanks for all your help!![IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3156639/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

ApplegumPam Posted 21 Dec 2013 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 16

Quote:

ApplegumPam: coconut would tast funny in dark chocolate wouldn't it?? I guess whatever works!!

Nope!!  tastes AMAZING - have you never had a Bounty Bar..... actually for people with dairy intolerance/allergy - coconut is quite a familiar taste, it is substituted in lots of things

Your cake turned out well considering the conditions you were working under  - tip for next time.... try covering your cake with fondant first - it would have sealed off your cake and given you loads more worktime to attach your minecraft squares.

You don't need to do a thick layer of ganache - you could have just smeared enough on to secure the fondant - so less pernickity with the heat

Apti Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 6:19am
post #14 of 16

lilmiss~~That cake just screams "I LOVE YOU BROTHER!".  Well done.

I lived in Bondi in the early 80's for a few years and worked for Johnson & Johnson.  The furthest geographic point in my territory was Dubbo.  When I returned to my home in the states, I had a whole NEW definition of "in the boonies".  

Merry Christmas to both of you Ozzies!

ApplegumPam Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 6:27am
post #15 of 16

Merry Christmas to you too Apti - Dubbo is only halfway to the Boonies!! hahaha

I am at the base of the Blue Mountains before you climb over to Lithgow and head on over to Dubbo.

Bondi in the early 80's - we probably drank at the same watering hole !!  My sister was with Johnson & Johnson bit later than that and with Pfizer now.

It really IS a small world  - and STILL hot here today too!

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 2:09am
post #16 of 16

AI think you can substitute meringue powder for the dream whip, to make it dairy free?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%