Speaking Of Food Colorings:

Decorating By hbquikcomjamesl Updated 17 Dec 2013 , 8:18pm by MBalaska

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 7

Looking at the recent thread on intense reds, with or without intense, unpleasant flavors, I abruptly remembered that I'm interested in something brown (but NOT chocolate) to give the hand-piped lettering on next year's Leland Award cake a little better contrast with the beige of the maple-cinnamon base frosting.

Dumping cinnamon and ground cloves into it with reckless abandon (and equally reckless disregard for possible unpleasant side effects) doesn't darken it nearly enough, and the McCormick liquid food colorings don't seem to give me a brown so much as they give it odd color casts.

And of course, I'm looking for something that's not likely to have any unpleasant side effects.

6 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 12:06am
post #2 of 7

ATry Wilton's brown. You could probably find it at Wal-Mart or your local craft store. It's a gel paste so it's concentrated.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 12:13am
post #3 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Looking at the recent thread on intense reds, with or without intense, unpleasant flavors, I abruptly remembered that I'm interested in something brown (but NOT chocolate) to give the hand-piped lettering on next year's Leland Award cake a little better contrast with the beige of the maple-cinnamon base frosting.

Dumping cinnamon and ground cloves into it with reckless abandon (and equally reckless disregard for possible unpleasant side effects) doesn't darken it nearly enough, and the McCormick liquid food colorings don't seem to give me a brown so much as they give it odd color casts.

And of course, I'm looking for something that's not likely to have any unpleasant side effects.

try instant coffee powder for color, it would taste better than cinnamon/cloves.  (It's not chocolate.)

BTW did you figure out how to get those letters straighter.  I was thinking you could do a frozen buttercream transfer for that long line of writing.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 5:24am
post #4 of 7

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

try instant coffee powder for color, it would taste better than cinnamon/cloves.  (It's not chocolate.) BTW did you figure out how to get those letters straighter.  I was thinking you could do a frozen buttercream transfer for that long line of writing.

Hmm. I should think that coffee would fight with a spice cake just as much as chocolate would.

As to this year's Leland cake, well, here's what I did http://cakecentral.com/t/765362/guide-for-lettering#post_7459645

and here's how it turned out http://cakecentral.com/t/765362/guide-for-lettering/15#post_7460521

I think next year, I'll try piping ridges (maybe even in slightly darker frosting) for "the family pattern," rather than plowing furrows, since the pattern didn't show up very well.

ItalianCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ItalianCakes Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 9:32am
post #5 of 7

Hi, we use Sugarflair gel concentrated color. For us is the best choice.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 7

The lettering turned out great!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 7

Yes the writing is better, and the movement of the logos will give you more writing room.

Just go out and buy some brown gel food coloring. Ben Franklin would want you to use proper coloring in your printing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%