Red Velvet Cake Truffles

Baking By MissCakeCrazy Updated 30 Dec 2013 , 6:39pm by mouna09

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 22

Hi, i have seen on the internet sites which have a receipe for red velvet cake truffles which include cake and cream cheese frosting which I will try soon. I was wondering what other ingredients I could add to make it more richer.  I was thinking of kirsch cherries but I am not sure, any thoughts?

21 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 22

AYou mean cake balls?

MissCakeCrazy Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 22

Yes, they are  also called cake truffles. If you google cake truffles you will get the same receipe's as for cake balls but I prefer to call them truffles.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 22

AThey may be cake, but they certainly are not truffles.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 22

i made some red velvet ones that were mixed with white chocolate swiss meringue buttercream--glory they were so sweet--they really needed something tart like chopped cranberries or if the cherries you mention are more tart and less sweet that would be a great addition i think--

but i was just using up wedding cake scraps so...

MissCakeCrazy Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 22

would you chop them up in little pieces or blend with the frosting?  I don't do frosting that is too sweet, I usually half the quantity of the sugar in the receipe.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 22

When I do cake balls I don't add a lot of icing.  With that being said, if you use cream cheese icing they will need to be refrigerated.  You should only add a couple of tablespoons of icing, just enough to bind them.  They will be plenty rich after being dipped in chocolate (red velvet looks really pretty dipped in white chocolate).  Not sure how cherries will go over.  You would lose the very subtle taste of the red velvet.  You're going into black forest territory with the kirsch cherries...use a chocolate cake for that and dip that in white chocolate. 

MissCakeCrazy Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 22

alot of the receipe's I have come across requires to use a tub of frosting (16 oz) with 9x13 cake.  is that too much frosting?

AnnieCahill Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 22

Yes that is way too much and you get something that's totally too sweet and mushy.  I use a max of 1/4 cup.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 22

I am glad you told me or it would have been inedible :D   I would probably make my own cream cheese frosting as they don't sell ready made in the supermarket near me and I always halve the amount of sugar in my frostings.  I will be dipping it in white chocolate which I have never done before, i usually  use milk and dark choc.  does white chocolate behave differenty when being melted?  is it necessary to temper it or can i just melt in over a basin normally?  i have never tempered before.

AnnieCahill Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 22

Do you have almond bark or candy coating?  That would be better.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 22

I haven't heard of neither, can you explain to me what they are?

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 22

Not real white chocolate but a candy coating. 

MissCakeCrazy Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 6:12pm
post #14 of 22

I have looked candy coating up which would make the cake truffle / pop have a hard outer shell.  can you tell me why some people would prefer candy over white chocolate and what the difference it will make to the cake pop?

-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 8:20pm
post #15 of 22

the difference between candy coating and chocolate is that candy coating is made with vegetable fat and chocolate is made with cocoa butter--because of this difference, the candy coating is easier to work with--and the chocolate needs to be tempered and thinned out to work best-- the real chocolate coating will be much crisper than the candy coating--

'candy coating' has many different names such as candy melts, almond bark, summer candy coating etc.

and as far as how much--depends on how big the item is and how warm or cool your candy melts are--so it's hard to really say--look around your grocery store by the chocolate chips and see if you see some 'almond bark' or 'candy coating'--usually sold in a flat, plastic wrapped, one pound container --easy to miss -- but they also put it out in the middle of the aisle with holiday baking ingredients too--

if you can find some--you can test this now in advance and get what you need according to your results

MissCakeCrazy Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 8:40pm
post #16 of 22

Thanks, you have been alot of help :smile:

Quote:

-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 8:45pm
post #17 of 22

http://candy.about.com/od/trufflerecipes/r/redvelvet.htm

this says one pound to one box/recipe cake mix

AnnieCahill Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 12:10am
post #18 of 22

AIt may say that but in my experience that is way too much icing and it makes them too sweet and mushy.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 12:14am
post #19 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

It may say that but in my experience that is way too much icing and it makes them too sweet and mushy.

i thought it was for coating the outside--idk--it was just a measure i found

AnnieCahill Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 12:23am
post #20 of 22

AOh crap I was talking about the binder lol not the coating! Sorry k8

-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 1:29pm
post #21 of 22

that's cool -- no worries -- checks & balances - a good thing

mouna09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouna09 Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 6:39pm
post #22 of 22

Yumm!!! that sounds amazing. I usually make my cakes & cupcakes with my kitchenaid turns out beautifully! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%