Doubting Something I Just Did

Decorating By reginaherrin Updated 13 Dec 2013 , 3:17am by reginaherrin

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 12 Dec 2013 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 7

So I got an email on Tuesday about a cake that someone wanted to order for Sunday.  I know that is super last minute but I have been known to take last minute orders as long as my work load will allow it.  As long as I got all the information that day or even very early the next it would not be a problem.  I immediately emailed her back prices on 2 different sizes.  She did not email me back until the next day at 2:30 on which size she wanted.  Again I immediately emailed her back letting her know I needed a deposit which could be made on my site or over the phone.  I did not get an email or call back until a few minutes ago at 5.  At this point, I would have to rush out to get the supplies and bake the cake tonight.  Then do all the crumb coating tomorrow and cover it in fondant in order to get it down by Sunday.  If I had no other orders then I could do that, even though I would hate to have to run out now to get supplies to make a cake when I still need to make dinner for my family, but I have several other orders and will be working on the all tomorrow.  I wont even be able to make a cake for my nieces birthday party on Sunday, which sucks since I do all the cakes for my family.  I told her that I just did not think I would be able to get it out in time, if I had received the deposit yesterday I would be able to but at this point I just don't think it is realistic.  She was a little put out saying she just read the email from yesterday and was at work all day and could not call before.  Of course she could have done it from my website which I did not say.  After I got off the call, I did feel guilty and realized that I never told her in the email that I needed it by a certain time but wouldn't someone realize that is a short time and make sure to get it done as soon as possible?  I know people don't realize how long a cake takes, which I did tell her.  I just wished I would have turned her down in the first place.  I think I may send her a coupon for free cupcakes or something. 

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2013 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginaherrin 

So I got an email on Tuesday about a cake that someone wanted to order for Sunday.  I know that is super last minute but I have been known to take last minute orders as long as my work load will allow it.  As long as I got all the information that day or even very early the next it would not be a problem.  I immediately emailed her back prices on 2 different sizes.  She did not email me back until the next day at 2:30 on which size she wanted.  Again I immediately emailed her back letting her know I needed a deposit which could be made on my site or over the phone.  I did not get an email or call back until a few minutes ago at 5.  At this point, I would have to rush out to get the supplies and bake the cake tonight.  Then do all the crumb coating tomorrow and cover it in fondant in order to get it down by Sunday.  If I had no other orders then I could do that, even though I would hate to have to run out now to get supplies to make a cake when I still need to make dinner for my family, but I have several other orders and will be working on the all tomorrow.  I wont even be able to make a cake for my nieces birthday party on Sunday, which sucks since I do all the cakes for my family.  I told her that I just did not think I would be able to get it out in time, if I had received the deposit yesterday I would be able to but at this point I just don't think it is realistic.  She was a little put out saying she just read the email from yesterday and was at work all day and could not call before.  Of course she could have done it from my website which I did not say.  After I got off the call, I did feel guilty and realized that I never told her in the email that I needed it by a certain time but wouldn't someone realize that is a short time and make sure to get it done as soon as possible?  I know people don't realize how long a cake takes, which I did tell her.  I just wished I would have turned her down in the first place.  I think I may send her a coupon for free cupcakes or something. 

one of my favorite quotes--ursula, the giant purple octopus villain in the Little Mermaid said,

"life's full of tough choices innit (sic)" -- 

your client made her choice to not check her email when she had important last minute communication going on--you made your choice to not jam your schedule

done--no cupcakes for her --make cupcakes for your neice

reginaherrin Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 12:12am
post #3 of 7

Your so right, I know I would be hating myself if I took that order in so little of time and then worked my butt off I would be hating it the whole time.  That's actually a good idea about cupcakes.  I don't know why I did not think about them, I can get cupcakes done really fast and do something cute and easy as far a design.  That way I won't feel so bad about not making a cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 12:25am
post #4 of 7

that's sounds good--

you sound really busy anyhow--i hope you get a nice peaceful day off soon--

sounds like you need some regina time--'calgon take me away' and all that good stuff--

take care--

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 12:51am
post #5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

that's sounds good--

you sound really busy anyhow--i hope you get a nice peaceful day off soon--

sounds like you need some regina time--'calgon take me away' and all that good stuff--

take care--

Calgon…..oh my, am I dating myself by knowing that one…take me away.

“”I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never ever let you forget you're a man,

Cause I’m a woman. W O M A N.””   I know you can sing along.... hahahahaha

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 1:12am
post #6 of 7

<nerd>I'm guessing that the Calgon tagline refers to their bath products, rather than their laundry products.</nerd>

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 
”I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never ever let you forget you're a man,

Cause I’m a woman. W O M A N.””   I know you can sing along.... hahahahaha

<geek>Except that the "bacon" verse wasn't from the song that Leiber & Stoller wrote, and Peggy Lee made famous. It was from the Enjoli perfume jingle based on the song.</geek>

reginaherrin Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 3:17am
post #7 of 7

Yes I am super busy this week but that is so a good thing.  Not only is Christmas almost here but we had a ice storm last week and I lost a few cakes because of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%