Criticism From Social "friends" About Your Pricing, What Are Your Thoughts?

Business By LaurisCakesandMore Updated 14 Mar 2016 , 10:00pm by LaurisCakesandMore

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 8:43pm
post #31 of 64

AInspired, just because some customers wouldn't be ok with a price increase doesn't mean you shouldn't increase your prices. The fact that you're talking about such tiny increases sounds like youre charging very little. The only tips I've been offered are because a customer thought I was a delivery driver. It's not because they don't value me and my time, it's because I've already valued myself and represented those things in the price. It's a business transaction. In typical everyday circumstances, a business owner should not accept a tip.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 11:36pm
post #32 of 64

It all has to do with the area.  I charge more than most in the area (50 mile radius) and about .25 less than others.  Some of the people who charge more are getting fewer orders and the people charging less are struggling to keep up.  I am sitting just right.  I have about 2-4 orders per week as I have another business that I work 55 hours a week at.  I win about 75% of all quotes that I do.  The people who generally tip are the ones from the "city".  I am rural and the closet city is 30 minutes away.  As far as tips go, I don't have a tip jar sitting out or anything.  They just make their payments and add extra in and tell me to keep it.  It even happens in my other business, just not as frequent. :)  I guess it is just more common here.  I always tip people who do work for me that I feel have done a good job or gone the extra mile.  I hope that it lets them know that I appreciate them.  

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 12:14am
post #33 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by inspiredbymom 

It all has to do with the area.  I charge more than most in the area (50 mile radius) and about .25 less than others.  Some of the people who charge more are getting fewer orders and the people charging less are struggling to keep up.  I am sitting just right.  I have about 2-4 orders per week as I have another business that I work 55 hours a week at.  I win about 75% of all quotes that I do.  The people who generally tip are the ones from the "city".  I am rural and the closet city is 30 minutes away.  As far as tips go, I don't have a tip jar sitting out or anything.  They just make their payments and add extra in and tell me to keep it.  It even happens in my other business, just not as frequent. :)  I guess it is just more common here.  I always tip people who do work for me that I feel have done a good job or gone the extra mile.  I hope that it lets them know that I appreciate them.  

I see you're extremely rural and that's definitely a different situation.  My ex-husband is from Sedalia and I've not been to Russellville, but I have been to Sedalia.  Pretty country, but darn cold in the winter. We went to a January wedding in Kansas City and the only time I ever felt warm was in the bath tub. lol

LaurisCakesandMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurisCakesandMore Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 9:44pm
post #34 of 64

That's a good one!!! I used to work in nursing homes for about 11yrs, before my mom passed. Back then the ratio to patient and cna was better and the wage was then too...now days...not a clue!

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 9:54pm
post #35 of 64

Today (February 21, 2016) I'm still growing!! I stay true to what I do. I'm still only charging what my CakeBoss program helps me do. That so called "friend" is now in the wind. She's still not getting it, the way I understand it, another competitor/friend asked me about this "friend" because she too was being accused of over charging...anyway, in my new market area, ppl aren't able to afford the huge prices that some places are. I'm getting more repeat customers....here's one of my cakes....[postimage id="2589" thumb="900"]

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 9:55pm
post #36 of 64

Quote by @Norasmom on 11 Dec 2013 , 8:59pm

Yes, brush it off, but…hmmm…what is your friend's line of work?  

My sister is a graphic designer and she used to design promotional items for corporations (mass mailings and such.)  Her former roommate once told her "oh…I just throw that stuff out, it's stupid."  My sister is very polite, her roommate is still alive.

She works in a nursing home part time and in a day care center.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 12:39pm
post #37 of 64

A friend of mine once asked if she could make a cake with me.  She had originally asked me to do it, but it was for her sister-in-laws baby shower so she really wanted to be involved.  I said OK and told her when she had to be at my house (3 nights in a row for about an hour the first 2 nights then 3 hours plus the last night).  I baked the sponges & ganache but she came over the first night to make the buttercream, fill and ganache the cake.  Next night, she came to 'help' me ice it...i.e. i iced it and she did some smoothing and make some decorations.  The 3rd night, she came by and decorated it with me.  Every night, she helped me clear up (you can't leave your stuff out all the time, right?).  We had a great time and she loved it but by the end of it as she left with a proud grin on her face holding her cake box, she looked at me and said 'wow, I had no idea how long it took...and this was simple compared to what you do normally'.  She has never criticised what I charge the public, but at least now, I know I have another advocate telling people really what goes into making a 'simple' 1-tier cake properly!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 10:43pm
post #38 of 64

"Are you suggesting my time and talent aren't worth what I charge?"

jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 3:26am
post #39 of 64
jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 3:44am
post #40 of 64

idk what happened to my post lol... but I had a post on sabotage well a shot version a family inlaw wanted to make cakes  so she reported my fb page as a scammer told ppl I was making cakes for I was unclean and etc. she has now made a page and is "selling cakes" ppl have no idea what it takes to bake and decorate a cake much less the stands and the dowels and then moving it keeping the fondant soft etc... the way I see it if she thinks she can do better tell her to try ! I did and I can completely say I have no competition with this person... no I'm not great but I strive everyday to learn all I can I take classes and watch videos because I want to do my best! I don't think she has a clue or even cares... so take comfort in know she probably just wishes she could do what you do and smile in the silence of knowing you don't have to bow to others opinions!

just to show you this is her cake she made for my customer who has now repeatedly  apologized

[postimage id="2638" thumb="900"]

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 10:31pm
post #41 of 64

Quote by @costumeczar on 17 Dec 2013 , 1:22pm

My a-hole brother-in-law used to ask me "how's the sucker business" every time he saw me because he's super cheap and thinks that if you spend any money on a wedding you're an idiot. I finally got sick of hearing his mouth, so I told him off and pointed out the fact that he works for a vitamin company selling snake oil to people, so who's in the sucker business? He shut up about it but it took me really chewing him a new one to get him to zip it. Some people just have to have a boot up their butt before they realize that they're being jerks, you can't "nice" them out of it.

Good one!!! LOL sorry but I had to laugh....snake oil....

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 10:41pm
post #42 of 64

Quote by @BrandisBaked on 23 hours ago

Not sure where this is coming from. In the first year, trying to recover the cost of baking supplies and ingredients are what I tried to do. Let's say your ingredients break down to the cost of the recipe is $5, figure in the cost of utilities at around $6, then delivery of the item is $5. That's what I charge just for the item. My time is basic $8.50/hr, add that to the final cost of the item. That's what I would charge. It's different in every area. If you consider yourself as a top notch baker/decorator then you charge what you think. If your customers think otherwise, then you need to rethink things on the pricing. I don't know what you're charging or what you think your time is worth. I know what mine is to me. 

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 10:41pm
post #43 of 64

Quote by @BatterUpCake on 11 Dec 2013 , 10:19pm

If she was a close friend I would invite her over to bake and decorate a cake...from the shopping to doing the dishes and the figuring the costs. If she was an acquaintance I would ignore it. If it were simple everyone would do it....

Thumbs up!!!

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 10:48pm
post #44 of 64

Quote by @jellybeanlane on 18 hours ago

idk what happened to my post lol... but I had a post on sabotage well a shot version a family inlaw wanted to make cakes  so she reported my fb page as a scammer told ppl I was making cakes for I was unclean and etc. she has now made a page and is "selling cakes" ppl have no idea what it takes to bake and decorate a cake much less the stands and the dowels and then moving it keeping the fondant soft etc... the way I see it if she thinks she can do better tell her to try ! I did and I can completely say I have no competition with this person... no I'm not great but I strive everyday to learn all I can I take classes and watch videos because I want to do my best! I don't think she has a clue or even cares... so take comfort in know she probably just wishes she could do what you do and smile in the silence of knowing you don't have to bow to others opinions!

just to show you this is her cake she made for my customer who has now repeatedly  apologized

900_criticism-from-social-fr_93606556cbd

Exactly!!! That's why I bought the CakeBoss program to help keep track of the expenses, my time, my ingredients. Here's the link; http://www.cakeboss.com/ 

This cake, well.....the bottom is clearly in bad shape....I don't even do fondant cakes, but my mentors who do, they  would cringe at this cake, they would try to be helpful and state the obvious in corrections. If your in law thinks this is top notch, she's got a lot of work to do in order to make it better. I know what works for me and I stick with it...kudos for sticking to your "guns" on this issue!!!  

BrandisBaked Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 4:56pm
post #45 of 64

My reply was in quotes to indicate that would have been my response to someone who suggested I was charging too much.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 5:10pm
post #46 of 64

@jellybeanlane that cake could be featured on Cakes Wrecks ! Yikes!

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 9:05pm
post #47 of 64

Quote by @BrandisBaked on 4 hours ago

My reply was in quotes to indicate that would have been my response to someone who suggested I was charging too much.

Depending on where a person lives and what the going "rates" would be, it's hard to say if you're over charging or not. I can't find that quote you're referring to. I started this thread three years ago...wow!!! Time has flown by....

Since this posting started how has your pricing been like? Has it increased your customers? I've noticed that mine has increased. 

BrandisBaked Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 3:53am
post #48 of 64

*face palm*

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 5:51am
post #49 of 64

Quote by @BrandisBaked on 3 days ago

*face palm*

OOook.... I normally don't go "prowling" other's profiles, you make me wonder why you participated in this thread. 

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 5:54am
post #50 of 64

Quote by @BrandisBaked on 22 Feb 2016 , 4:43pm

This is the first time I see you posting in my thread, which makes me wonder why you are on my thread other than to maybe start trouble. Please don't. If you want to do that, go elsewhere. Thank you!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 6:56am
post #51 of 64

BrandisBaked is not accusing you of anything or trying to start any trouble.  She was trying to be supportive of you.  When you're so called friend originally was saying you were charging too much she was suggesting YOU could have asked HER, "Are you suggesting my time and talent aren't worth what I charge?"

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 7:43am
post #52 of 64

brandisbaked -- i get what you meant in post #38 and i don't get the continuing misunderstanding -- 

post #38 is what the decorator would say to the client 

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 9:59pm
post #53 of 64

Wow, really?

Her post was what she would say to someone criticizing her pricing, which is why it was in quotation marks. Meaning if someone criticized her pricing, her response would be "are you suggesting my time and talent aren't worth what I charge?" 

I am not sure why you thought that was some sort of attack on you or something. 

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 10:36pm
post #54 of 64

Quote by @PinkLotus on 31 minutes ago

Wow, really?

Her post was what she would say to someone criticizing her pricing, which is why it was in quotation marks. Meaning if someone criticized her pricing, her response would be "are you suggesting my time and talent aren't worth what I charge?" 

I am not sure why you thought that was some sort of attack on you or something. 

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 3:05pm
post #47 of 53
Actions 

Quote by @BrandisBaked on 4 hours ago

Depending on where a person lives and what the going "rates" would be, it's hard to say if you're over charging or not. I can't find that quote you're referring to. I started this thread three years ago...wow!!! Time has flown by....

Since this posting started how has your pricing been like? Has it increased your customers? I've noticed that mine has increased. 

When face palm expression comes up, at least from my understanding, it means disgust. I hadn't seen her post on this thread before that. That's the reason why I responded the way I did. From the tone you're directing towards me is also coming across as rude. PinkLotus. 

If I could delete this thread I would!

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 4:30pm
post #55 of 64

I spent 4 days and nights, about 60 hours, making a very detailed 3D replica of a Nikon D5100 camera out of Dark Chocolate Espresso cake with chocolate ganache filling & black fondant exterior for 48 people. AND 36 cake pops, white chocolate shell with grad caps & tassels. I obsessed over every detail. Then I delivered them to a $2 million house for a high school graduation party, and asked for $200. The hostess got all flustered and said she used me because my last price had been reasonable, ($160 for 2 not so detailed cakes that she picked up) but this was way more than she expected, and "too much".  I had told her I'd stay as close to the price for these first cakes as possible, but that this was going to be a bit more, so it's not like she went in blind. She posted pics of the products online, got great feedback ("That's cake?" " Can't believe it's cake, it looks so real", etc), but she never used me again, telling people I'm "too expensive". I made about $2/hour for those cakes. I wanted to give her a good deal because I thought her friends would see / taste my work & it would be good for business. WRONG! It was all High Schoolers who are mostly clueless to this type/amount of work. All I get from these ladies with the expensive fake nails and other parts & three thousand dollar purses are comments such as "well, WalMart only charges.......". So I tell them to go to WalMart. I use $11/pound Swiss chocolate & real cream, butter. I've found just enough customers that have priced comparable work product who know I am less expensive than a shop because I work legally from home, and I put my whole heart into everything I make. But it really kills me to see this lady serving very expensive sushi & fancy catered food to 50 privileged kids at a grad party, then complaining about $200 for a huge and if I do say so myself beautiful centerpiece cake that people raved about on social media. I give up. If anyone uses the words WalMart when discussing cake pricing, conversation over.....

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 5:58pm
post #56 of 64

Quote by @Shasha2727 on 1 hour ago

I spent 4 days and nights, about 60 hours, making a very detailed 3D replica of a Nikon D5100 camera out of Dark Chocolate Espresso cake with chocolate ganache filling & black fondant exterior for 48 people. AND 36 cake pops, white chocolate shell with grad caps & tassels. I obsessed over every detail. Then I delivered them to a $2 million house for a high school graduation party, and asked for $200. The hostess got all flustered and said she used me because my last price had been reasonable, ($160 for 2 not so detailed cakes that she picked up) but this was way more than she expected, and "too much".  I had told her I'd stay as close to the price for these first cakes as possible, but that this was going to be a bit more, so it's not like she went in blind. She posted pics of the products online, got great feedback ("That's cake?" " Can't believe it's cake, it looks so real", etc), but she never used me again, telling people I'm "too expensive". I made about $2/hour for those cakes. I wanted to give her a good deal because I thought her friends would see / taste my work & it would be good for business. WRONG! It was all High Schoolers who are mostly clueless to this type/amount of work. All I get from these ladies with the expensive fake nails and other parts & three thousand dollar purses are comments such as "well, WalMart only charges.......". So I tell them to go to WalMart. I use $11/pound Swiss chocolate & real cream, butter. I've found just enough customers that have priced comparable work product who know I am less expensive than a shop because I work legally from home, and I put my whole heart into everything I make. But it really kills me to see this lady serving very expensive sushi & fancy catered food to 50 privileged kids at a grad party, then complaining about $200 for a huge and if I do say so myself beautiful centerpiece cake that people raved about on social media. I give up. If anyone uses the words WalMart when discussing cake pricing, conversation over.....

https://www.facebook.com/notes/lauris-cakes-more/just-a-cake-for-thought/1109391052417209   if you have a website,  share it on your page.  I spent a lot of time writing this up and doing my research on the pricing. Shasha, if she (your customer) tries to say anything bad about your cake just make sure you have a way to get her to understand she accepted you in the first place and she's guilty of slander. Since July 2015, my contracts have changed to include wording (not of slander) but they are accepting the terms of the price. 

[postimage id="2944" thumb="900"]

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 7:55pm
post #57 of 64

The price should have been discussed and sealed with a signed contract and money collected before delivery!  We have no idea what people think or expect.  Everything needs to be spelled out as clearly as possible to avoid misunderstanding.  The customer has no idea how much time or effort you put into a cake and for the most part they don't care!  They only care about the part that affects them - the cost, the look and the taste.  They see these cake shows that churn out amazing cakes in an hour so they think that's how it is.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 8:36pm
post #58 of 64

$40 is clearly a bit more than the previous $160 order -- the client with the high overhead flaked on yah -- no bueno -- it''s her bad though and pastrybaglady's recommendation will fix that for yah for the most part going forward --

it's really a study all unto itself as to who understands the commitment and pricing on custom cakes and who doesn't -- i've had the most unassuming people lay down the big bucks happily/appreciatively and the seemingly higher up the food chain peeps balk like they got burned

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 8:52pm
post #59 of 64

[postimage id="2945" thumb="900"][postimage id="2946" thumb="900"]

Here's examples that I created for this purpose. I'm seeing more of my mentors having this same system, CakeBoss. See the "status" of the order? You can create a quote. Estimate the amount of time it will take. This is what I'm doing since I first posted this original thread. It costs $149.00 and yearly $20.00. Karen Vazquez is a SWFL cake designer featured in multiple publications, articles, websites, and recently has competed on the well known show: Food Network Is a friend of mine. She has this same program. She's Kakes by Karen. I'm serious, in order to do a proper pricing of any cake order you get, this will help. You can also keep track of purchases.Since posting this thread originally, this was my best purchase ever! 

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 11:00pm
post #60 of 64

I just had a conversation with Karen Vazquez, Kakes by Karen. She's just told me recently this; 

[postimage id="2947" thumb="900"]

Can't argue with this kind of thinking....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%