How Do I Create This Beaded Border?

Decorating By fcrutchley Updated 12 Dec 2013 , 5:42am by Smckinney07

fcrutchley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcrutchley Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 5:11am
post #1 of 5

AI am trying to recreate this beaded design on a cake tier. It looks like they are glued on one by one but I'm not sure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3152546/width/200/height/400

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 7:31am
post #2 of 5

I'd brush on piping gel and apply by the handful.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 11:40am
post #3 of 5

I would have the balls glued to a band of fondant, so the entire thing can be easily un-wrapped before cutting, since I wouldn't serve those to people...

...and I would apply the balls (to the bands) on a flat surface, maybe on a large cookie sheet, so they wouldn't go flying everywhere.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 5

I just read a thread about doing this.  They took wax paper and sprayed a bit of cooking spray on it then pressed it on top of a plate that had the pearls and when they lifted it up the pearls stayed on the paper.  The just press it into your cake (you'll probably have to brush piping gel on the fondant covered cake first).  I haven't tried it yet but will.  I have done this type of cake before and put the pearls on by hand and let me tell you it took forever and was super messy and still did not get the desired look exactly.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 12 Dec 2013 , 5:42am
post #5 of 5

A

Original message sent by FlourPots

I would have the balls glued to a band of fondant, so the entire thing can be easily un-wrapped before cutting, since I wouldn't serve those to people...

...and I would apply the balls (to the bands) on a flat surface, maybe on a large cookie sheet, so they wouldn't go flying everywhere.

This is the quickest way to adhere the balls or dragees to your cake! I learned this technique from Craftsy tutorial that Mariana Sousa demonstrated, she lined cookie sheets with parchment and laid the fondant bands side by side. She used a thin layer of bc or royal, you can use whatever you want, then sprinkled and gently pushed the dragees on the bands.

It worked beautifully. The cookie sheet caught the extra dragees & the parchment acted as a funnel which made clean-up easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%