How Do Hold Deposits For Cake Stand Rentals?

Business By klan30 Updated 14 Dec 2013 , 5:01am by klan30

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 3:38am
post #1 of 8

I'd like to know how fellow cottage operators hold deposits on rental items.  Currently for payments on cakes I use paypal and a square reader.  If I run a deposit through either they charge a fee on both transactions (the initial deposit and then the refund).  I've placed a deposit before where the company took my credit card info but they wouldn't run the card unless needed.  I'd like to do something like this but, am not aware of paypal offering this option and in order to hand enter with the square I need lots of extra info.  Any suggestions?

7 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 4:32am
post #2 of 8

AI would avoid PayPal if possible. We took deposits for cake stands via cash or check.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 5:20am
post #3 of 8

AI have them write a check that I give back to them when they return the item in good condition. If there were any damage, I would hold the check and decide how much (if any) to return. Never had to do that though.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 5:21am
post #4 of 8

AWe only take cash deposits for equipment.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 8:48am
post #5 of 8

I won't accept card/Paypal/cheques for deposits (cheques can be cancelled immediately!)

It's cash or direct bank transfer!

Suzanne x

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 10:32am
post #6 of 8

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

I have them write a check that I give back to them when they return the item in good condition. If there were any damage, I would hold the check and decide how much (if any) to return. Never had to do that though.

Me too, if it's not returned by the date stated in our contract (typically 3-5 days) I cash the check. I've never had any issues thankfully!

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 12 Dec 2013 , 3:31am
post #7 of 8

I take a check, cash it and then when the item is returned in good condition, I give them a check and they cash it for their deposit.

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 5:01am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the advise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%