3D School Bus Cake

Decorating By Iks13 Updated 7 Jun 2014 , 10:20pm by Karansa

Iks13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iks13 Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 9

AHi All.. I had to bake a school bus cake for my friends son’s birthday. I never tried a 3d bus cake before. If anyone can help me providing some instructions or tips to work on this. That would be really very much helpful. Thanks !

8 replies
SkisandBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkisandBakes Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 9

Hi there.

Not sure of your experience level so I may be stating things that you already know. I am a hobby baker who bakes for family only but I have received some great advice here for 3d/carved cakes - you should be able to find bunch of info if you search carved cakes. The most important tip I have received for 3d cakes is to freeze your cake and carve it frozen. Make a template out of cardboard to make sure both sides turn out the same. For a vehicle make the wheels out of RKT and cover with fondant. Good luck and have fun.

Iks13 Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 4:43am
post #3 of 9
  • SkisandBakes: Thanks for your valuable advice and tips. This helps me a lot. 
Iks13 Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 4:46am
post #4 of 9
  • SkisandBakes: Thanks for your valuable advice, this helps me a lot :)
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iks13 

Hi All.. I had to bake a school bus cake for my friends son’s birthday. I never tried a 3d bus cake before.
If anyone can help me providing some instructions or tips to work on this. That would be really very much helpful.
Thanks !

Hi,

I made this school bus almost a year ago.  it was my first 3D cake.  Cake was made from a sturdy chocolate cake baked in a 13x9 rectangle pan and frosted with chocolate buttercream frosting.

http://www.mattyeatscakes.com/#!School-Bus-Birthday-Cake/zoom/c21kz/image20z8

I didn't use any template, just sort of eyed how i wanted my cake to look like.  i did however have a picture of a school bus as a guide.  I torted the cake and divided lengthwise, cut about 1/4 from one the of divided cakes and stacked that one on top of the other one. then you'd have your school bus! (i hope that makes sense). then cover as whole with yellow fondant and add details. I used MMF.  

HTH:) If you have any questions, please let me know. 

sugar

Iks13 Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 9

Sugar, This makes lot of sense to me. You did a good job with the bus cake.. it came out great :D.

But..I have more questions for you..

Can you tell me what kind of filling did you used in your cake.

I see the illusion of the gap between the cake seems like the bus is standing. How did you managed to do that?

Also most of the time I use ready to used Wilton’s rolled fondant for covering my cakes. I never used MMF. Which one do you prefer and why?

Thank you for helping me with this.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 9

Can you tell me what kind of filling did you used in your cake. - i used chocolate buttercream for the filling as well. So there was no chance of cake slipping/sliding when i stacked them (unlike if i used a soft fruit filling).  

I see the illusion of the gap between the cake seems like the bus is standing. How did you managed to do that? - oh, i covered the bottom of the cake with gray fondant to match the gray "highway". does that make sense? hehehe

Also most of the time I use ready to used Wilton’s rolled fondant for covering my cakes. I never used MMF. Which one do you prefer and why? - i make my own MMF just because it is cheaper and tastes better than most store bought brands.  also, where i live (winnipeg, canada), satin ice or fondarific or any of those larger name brand fondants are not readily available.  i find wilton fondant packages too small and expensive. a tub of virgin ice (sold at bulkbarn) is about $16 while making my own MMF is about $7-$8. so significantly cheaper! but if you do choose to make your own fondant, make it ahead, about 2 days ahead to let it "rest", and tint it a day before.  i find that tinting fondant the same day i need to use it make the fondant sticky and very soft. :) just double wrap it with cling wrap and store at room temp. 

good luck! :) 

Iks13 Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 9

Oh.. thank you for answering all my questions. Will post my cake pic once I am done.

Karansa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karansa Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 9

AHow many persons this cake feed??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%