How Do You Keep Your Trade Recipes A Secret At A Bakery?

Business By nadsquad Updated 10 Dec 2013 , 11:06pm by liz at sugar

nadsquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadsquad Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, 

I was just wondering how those who own their own bakeries manage to keep their trade secret recipes a secret? 

If a bakery owner keeps the recipes to herself, then I would assume she would have to be there every single morning at 4 am baking in order to not share the secret recipes with any employees ... in which case, she can never take a day off, get sick, or go on vacation :/

I have been wondering about this for a while ... would love to find out how keeping the recipes a secret can be feasibly managed!

Thanks in advance for your insight!

6 replies
IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 7

No bakery experience myself, but one suggestion I've seen is for the owner to pre-mix the dry ingredients and the employees add the wet ingredients without knowing the rest of the recipe.

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 7

AEvery one of my employees signs a non disclosure agreement upon hire with a non compete clause ( for specified items). It's not logical to have only one person in this facility know any one recipe exclusively.

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 7

AMy husband said he watched tv program regarding KFC's secret recipe. They said that half of the ingredients are mixed together on the east coast, and the other is mixed on the west. Then they mix it together in a central location, that way nobody knows the entire recipe. Sounds crazy huh?

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarplumStudio 

Every one of my employees signs a non disclosure agreement upon hire with a non compete clause ( for specified items). It's not logical to have only one person in this facility know any one recipe exclusively.

Exactly what we do, we had a contract drawn up by our solicitor that staff must sign if they want to work for us.

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadsquad 

If a bakery owner keeps the recipes to herself, then I would assume she would have to be there every single morning at 4 am baking in order to not share the secret recipes with any employees ... in which case, she can never take a day off, get sick, or go on vacation :/

You need to be thinking about production efficiencies . . . you don't need to be there every day at 4:00 a.m. to bake off fresh goods every day.  You should be making up recipes in bulk, portioning them off, and freezing them so that each day you just bake off what you need.  Hope this helps.

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%