Refrigerating Cakes?

Decorating By cakechic87 Updated 11 Dec 2013 , 1:41pm by ddaigle

cakechic87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechic87 Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 11:45am
post #1 of 8

Do you refrigerate or freeze your cakes after you ice & decorate them? If so, why do you? Does it make the cake taste better? I've tasted cake that was frozen one time at a party & it tasted like the freezer. I have refrigerated buttercream cakes before with RI roses & when I took it out, the whole thing was sweating so bad water was running down the cake. The longer I left the cake out, the more it sweat. I've never even tried to refrigerate a fondant cake (too scared). Won't your fondant/gum paste decorations get soft & wet? Won't any paint/dyes drip & run down the cake? Won't it ruin the fondant? I know when I accidentally drop some water on a fondant cake, it leaves a tiny hole/indent in the fondant where the water was. I try to decorate my cakes 1-2 days before pick up. I leave them out & I keep the room very cold & I have not had any problems doing this.

Anyway, just trying to see what everyone else does?

7 replies
betija Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
betija Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 8

I never freeze my cakes when they are decorated !!!!!

Usually I put them in the refrigerator.

I have never had problems with cake sweating, so don't be scared to put cakes in the fridge... :)

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 8

I always refrigerate after decorating...fondant cakes also.  I do this mainly because for travel purposes.,,or maybe a perishable filling, but mainly the travel thing.  A room temperature cake is a dangerous cake to trannsport.    After delivery and a couple hours at room temp...the cake is moist.   I have to box my cakes that go in the commercial refrigerator as they do not have the humidity control that our household refirigerators do.    If I am using a standard household refrigerator (I have 3 for cakes)..I do not need to box.   They stay bone dry....may sweat a tad..but nothing at all to worry about.

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 8

Yep! I also refrigerate my cakes. Easier to transport. 

If the fondant sweats when you take it out of the fridge, do not touch it. The moisture will dissipate on its own. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 5:13am
post #5 of 8

AI do not refrigerate cakes. Transporting a room temp cake was never a problem. Maybe it was SPS!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 6:49am
post #6 of 8

I never refrigerate a cake before transporting and I've never had a problem. And I don't use SPS. The posts about tiers sliding off are a mystery to me - can't figure out how it happens.

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 11:46am
post #7 of 8

AI've never had a tier slide off an unrefrigerated cake, but for me the reason is the cake is sturdier and doesn't move at all. It's a necessity where I live. It's nicknamed the Hill City. I'd rather have a sturdy cake than any wobbles at all. Just peace of mind.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 8

Our roads are so crappy....one time when I delivered a wedding cake...one of the beads on the beaded border actually vibrated out of the border and was about an inch from the edge!   I know the cold beads made it easier for it to bounce out of the line.   I just thought that was so funny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%