Stacking A Partial Dummy Wedding Cake

Decorating By heddahope Updated 11 Dec 2013 , 5:17am by leah_s

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 4:22am
post #1 of 7

Hi ladies and gentlmen!! It's been awhile since I've been on here, hope everyone has been well.

I am doing a 4 tier oval wedding cake where 3 of the 4 tiers will be dummy cakes.  The second to largest size will be the real cake.  My questions are: do I dowel all tiers just like a regular cake?  if not do I still do a cake board under the dummy tier that is in contact with the real cake?  And do I apply the buttercream directly to the styro or do I put something on them first?

She just brought me the dummy cakes and they aren't solid which I found kinda strange.  They are completely hollow, as in the stack inside of each other like cake pans...

TIA

6 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 7:13am
post #2 of 7

Hollow dummies? that's a new one :-?

I would normally not dowel dummies, but how sturdy are they? The top ones I would just stack, Im assuming they are sturdy enough to take the weight of the ones above? The real cake I will definitely dowel, and the bottom dummy as well if its not very sturdy. If the dummy touches the cake I will add a board, if it touches another dummy I will not bother.

I don't do BC cakes, so cant help you there.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 7:22am
post #3 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by heddahope 
do I dowel all tiers just like a regular cake?

if not do I still do a cake board under the dummy tier that is in contact with the real cake?  And do I apply the buttercream directly to the styro

No.

Yes.

Yes.

heddahope Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks!!!  And yes, hollow, weird right?!  They do seem pretty sturdy though, and like 6 inches tall.

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 7

That's the weirdest thing! They're styrofoam but are hollow????

heddahope Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 7

Yep, they nest right into each other

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 5:17am
post #7 of 7

AI have one set of hollow dummies. I like them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%