Fondant Manhole Cover For Tmnt Cake Help!!

Decorating By QuelzQakes Updated 3 Dec 2013 , 2:33am by QuelzQakes

QuelzQakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuelzQakes Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 1:43am
post #1 of 5

A client wants a TMNT  cake for her sons birthday party and i am at a cross road with this. I am wondering if anyone has input or the slightest idea on how i can make a fondant manhole cover. Ive looked at them online on how they look but i dont know how to transition it onto fondant. Hopefully u guys can help me!!! :)

4 replies
Cooking Nana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cooking Nana Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 1:55am
post #2 of 5

AHave you checked out Ace of Cakes I am sure saw this done on there. Do you have airbrush?

QuelzQakes Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 2:02am
post #3 of 5

i'll check him out and no i dont have a airbrush machine. 

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 2:23am
post #4 of 5

AJust made one a couple months ago(in my gallery)- I don't have an airbrush either. I made the lid with a light grey 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix. I used Wilton's silver spray that I got at a craft store. made the lid with a 6" circle. I wanted the texture of the sewer grate so before i made lid, I made a "texture mat" out of some old leftover fondant and some spaghetti. I know it sounds crazy but it worked great. Mixed fondant with some tylose or just use gum paste, rolled it out - I broke some spaghetti into tiny uniform-ish pieces. Arranged them on the fondant in the pattern I wanted glueing spaghetti in with sugar glue. Let it dry really well. Then use to imprint pattern in sewer lid. If this doesn't made sense let me know and I'll be glad to help. It wasn't difficult at all

QuelzQakes Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 2:33am
post #5 of 5

Yes can you please help :) I got a little lost in your instructions 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%