Christmas/holiday Sides/desserts And Food Traditions You ♥

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 10 Dec 2013 , 12:01am by mfeagan

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 16

what do you look forward to serving this year? something old something new?

i'm doing gingerbread trees to ship--gonna make 'em bigger than last year and shipping peanut butter fudge too--

still in the planning stages for the meal--tbc

whada yous up to?

15 replies
-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 16

for main course christmas i am pondering one of these three--never made them before

veal parmigiana

date and pistachio chicken breast with madeira sauce

short ribs

we usually have ham

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 16

I would like to attempt to make tablet this year.  It is a traditional Scottish sweetie but I've never made it before.  My friend is going to give me her recipe, so I will try a batch and see how it comes out :-)

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 16

AI make these every year for our breakfast on Christmas morning. They are so good!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-cinnamon-rolls-recipe/index.html

I plan on trying your strudel recipe sometime this month. I go to my grandparent's house for Christmas dinner and we all bring a dish. I normally bring homemade rolls and dessert. (of course!) We have a very traditional southern meal. Your menu sounds great!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 16

how cool--never heard of it--excellent post because i wanna broaden my food horizons--

Quote:

from allrecipes: "This is an amazingly good traditional Scottish confection, like a dulce de leche fudge."

dulce de leche fudge? no problem!

please report back how it goes if you want--but no pressure

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 16

Will do, Kate :-)

In my experience, tablet is firmer and crumblier than fudge, and very sweet.  No wonder us Scots have such bad dental health!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 16

krypto, ooohhh, gimme some! ;)

i have less than no will power with yeasted baked goods--i have no peace until every last morsel is gone/eaten--ahhh the good old days--hahaha

i hope your strudel-ing goes very well 

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 16

i'm with krypto-- i don't think there's a better time in the year for great yeasted baked goods than christmas/holiday time

i make tea rings for the holidays--they are so simple and ridiculously irresistible--we have a doctor friend who calls them a 'controlled substance'--i have a picture somewhere of my trunk loaded up with them--

they are simply a typical refrigerator potato roll dough* rolled out & filled generously with clarified butter and a thick layer of brown sugar--it caramelizes in the oven and it transforms into something celestial--often delivered to the neighbors on christmas morning still hot from the oven--these come up in conversation in the summer--they are absurd--

over the years i started adding ground walnuts to help balance the sugar blast--and some of the filling bakes out and this is the most wonderful caramel--omg--

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/make-ahead-potato-bread-dough/62a1773f-638e-4903-8742-c6746f0a90d0  but i use 2 pkgs yeast and shortening instead of butter to keep the way clear for the butter in the filling--each recipe makes up into 3 tea rings--because the dough is cold when you roll it out you  can get a generous layer of butter to stand up on it--it firms up--then slather on a good 1/4 inch of brown sugar--

makes the best most user friendly rolls for supper too--make the dough up they day before --then just form them early enough on the day of and away you go--let 'em rise--pop in the oven--the aromatherapy is intoxicating~~~ ~~

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 16

Growing up with a father from Germany who emigrated here as a young boy with his family, we always have traditional German food for Christmas. Sauerbraten, fried or sweet & sour red cabbage, spatzle, knödel, and lebkuchen. It wouldn't be Christmas without it!! 

Now we have a lot of extended family who don't like the German side of things (shame on them!…more for me!). So we always cook a turkey and have regular mashed potatoes and green beans. It helps for the boring few in our lives…including my husband. haha! 

CAN'T WAIT!!!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 16

oh man that all sounds so good! my daughter & son-in-law have thankfully taken over the tradition of making pierogis --

i love me some sauerbraten--last time i made it i put too many ginger cookies in there--ruh roh

and i'll have a few lebkuchen--calorie free over the internet ;)

mfeagan Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 16

MMMMMmmmm! Pierogis! 

Hmmm…dinner idea this week! Thanks! :o)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 4:49am
post #12 of 16

This year it's Homemade Chicken Pot Pie, no roasting for me.

spatzle-- haven't had it since I was a kid.  Brandied suet pudding also.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 6:51am
post #13 of 16

AEvery year on Christmas Eve, my boyfriend's dad does a ham, bland (once WAY over-peppered) mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, & canned gravy. I'm not a big fan of ham, myself, but I choke it down anyway. He always buys a bunch I pies, and I bring cookies, candies, more pies, and whatever else I feel like making. Oddly, the most popular treat the last couple years were the peppermint meringues I whipped up with a few extra whites I needed to use.

mfeagan Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 16

AI love meringue cookies and make them every year. This year I want to make standing snowmen meringues. Saw them on Martha Stewart years ago. The chef on there hollowed out the inside and filled with chocolate mousse. Yum!!!!

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 16

AOoh, that sounds interesting.

mfeagan Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 12:01am
post #16 of 16

A[URL]http://www.marthastewart.com/346591/meringue-snowmen[/URL]

You can watch a video on how to make them too. It's not on this link. I just google it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%