Has Anyone Used 'caning' On Their Cakes?

Decorating By blwilley Updated 14 Mar 2014 , 7:26pm by blwilley

blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 5:02am
post #1 of 24

I was watching youtube on 'caning' using clay.  It looked exactly like gumpaste to me, so I made up a batch and went to town... and I love it!!  I did the green & white for leaves, and it looks different, but I LIKE it!  What do you think?  

Have any of you worked with this medium??  If so, what were your results?  What other applications can it be put to? 

Can you post some pictures to go by?

23 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 5:31am
post #2 of 24

Ahttp://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/

http://kathryns-cakes.blogspot.com/2012/01/patterned-pastes.html

I wasn't sure what it was called, I've seen it done a lot with clay but I use clay/fondant tutorials for cake decorating. I've seen this method for making various patterns like houndstooth and even making onions. I will try to find the other tutorials, I know I've pinned some.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 5:36am
post #3 of 24

CakeFu did a one hour interview with Toni Fusco of San Diego on using caning with fondant. 

This link should bring you to the information on the CakeFu site:

http://www.cakefu.com/cakefu-masters-training-toni-fusco/

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 7:33am
post #4 of 24
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 8:37am
post #5 of 24

I often use it for dragon wings and sometimes tummys, I just usually call it pattern paste though. 

I use it for stripey scarves or socks, or sliced up and put together for covering boards . 

Also for leaves that are striped too it is great. Like cordylines

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 9:56am
post #6 of 24

I had no idea what you were talking about when you said 'caning'  - I felt sure it was going to be taking a switch to some dastardly fondant or something !  LOL

I too just refer to it as patterned paste - even heard it referred to as millefiore

I do variagated ivy like this too

blwilley Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 24

Smckinney07, Thank you so much for these links.

http://kathryns-cakes.blogspot.com/2012/01/patterned-pastes.html This site gave me a whole new slant on Patterned Pastes.
http://www.pinterest.com/mercejm82/tutoriales-de-arcilla-polimerica/ This site gave me new ideas on my existing way of caning.
I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

blwilley Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

CakeFu did a one hour interview with Toni Fusco of San Diego on using caning with fondant.

This link should bring you to the information on the CakeFu site:

This one is perfect!!  The one I saw was totally using her technique!  Thanks!

blwilley Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chellescakes 

I often use it for dragon wings and sometimes tummys, I just usually call it pattern paste though.

I use it for stripey scarves or socks, or sliced up and put together for covering boards .

Also for leaves that are striped too it is great. Like cordylines

Dragon wings?  Tummies?  Got any pics?  I  am from the school of '1 picture is worth a thousand words'! lol  Thanks!

blwilley Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

I had no idea what you were talking about when you said 'caning'  - I felt sure it was going to be taking a switch to some dastardly fondant or something !  LOL

I too just refer to it as patterned paste - even heard it referred to as millefiore

I do variagated ivy like this too

Can you send me a picture?  Please & thanx...

blwilley Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 24

ApplegumPam,

Apparently 'patterned paste' & 'caning' are similar in effect, but quite different in how to get there. lol

This site from Apti shows how to do caning.  The one I saw on youtube must have used this site as a reference.  She is GOOD!  You can skip the intro part & go straight to the bare bones part, as I did.  I like cake-fu, must have missed this one.  Will be sure to go check out 'back issues' of their tutorials!

Chellescakes Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by blwilley 

ApplegumPam,

Apparently 'patterned paste' & 'caning' are similar in effect, but quite different in how to get there. lol

This site from Apti shows how to do caning.  The one I saw on youtube must have used this site as a reference.  She is GOOD!  You can skip the intro part & go straight to the bare bones part, as I did.  I like cake-fu, must have missed this one.  Will be sure to go check out 'back issues' of their tutorials!

I don't see any difference , that is the technique I use to do what I call pattern paste , I do it in stripes and blocks and use the same trusty little blade as the lady in the video.  

here I have used the block method to do the horns, scales and tummies on the dragon. I did the wings too but you can't see them . 

blwilley Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 12:02am
post #13 of 24

Hello Chellescakes,

I love this!  Wish you could show me how you did it. How do you get the design onto the tummy?  Are they stacked sections?  The rest I can probably figure out.  And how did you do the cake top & cake board?  Was it with a transfer sheet?  So many little pieces!

I had gotten the impression, from what little bit that I saw, that the 'patterned paste' was a thin single layer effect, while caning, as done on the video, was for slicing off multiple same effect items.   Now I see that they are all parcel & piece of the same thing, just in varying degrees.

I have only been doing the 'Cake' thing for about a year, that was when I discovered youtube.  Am trying to pick up as much as I can, before I get too old to do it. lol  Arthritis is already a daily battle.  Kneading dough is supposed to help, though it does not always feel like it!  I am delving into as many new areas as I can find, and just love to see new things, and 'try' to figure out how to do them.  This was new to me, but apparently not to a lot of you 'Cakers' out there.  I definitely do not mean to give the impression that I know what I am doing..., just that I am having fun doing it!  There is soooo much to see & learn.  I retired last year, and have been keeping myself busy with the grands, & caking.  I consider myself very fortunate.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 12:06am
post #14 of 24

blwilley~~Happy to help!  Toni Fusco is a valued member of the San Diego Cake Club and also teaches at an adult school in the area.  I have been very fortunate to attend some of her classes and see Toni at work.  It is AMAZING. 

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 2:36am
post #15 of 24

ALindy smith has some beautiful designs using this technique in her book The Contemporary Cake Decorating Bible.

daprincessnora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daprincessnora Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 5:03am
post #16 of 24

AIm with [@]Sassyzan[/@] I have the book and find lindy smith patterns really cool and pictures are very descriptive to follow

Chellescakes Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 6:16am
post #17 of 24

Quote:

Hello Chellescakes,

I love this!  Wish you could show me how you did it. How do you get the design onto the tummy?  Are they stacked sections?  The rest I can probably figure out.  And how did you do the cake top & cake board?  Was it with a transfer sheet?  So many little pieces!

I had gotten the impression, from what little bit that I saw, that the 'patterned paste' was a thin single layer effect, while caning, as done on the video, was for slicing off multiple same effect items.   Now I see that they are all parcel & piece of the same thing, just in varying degrees.

I have only been doing the 'Cake' thing for about a year, that was when I discovered youtube.  Am trying to pick up as much as I can, before I get too old to do it. lol  Arthritis is already a daily battle.  Kneading dough is supposed to help, though it does not always feel like it!  I am delving into as many new areas as I can find, and just love to see new things, and 'try' to figure out how to do them.  This was new to me, but apparently not to a lot of you 'Cakers' out there.  I definitely do not mean to give the impression that I know what I am doing..., just that I am having fun doing it!  There is soooo much to see & learn.  I retired last year, and have been keeping myself busy with the grands, & caking.  I consider myself very fortunate.

The design on the tummy , I have sliced off three rounds of my paste and carefully rolled them together to make the tummy , the horns and tail scales are a sliced piece cut diagonally and then slightly rolled .  The top of the cake and cakeboard is done with a royal icing stencil , This was done with a lacy scrapbooking paper . It is a quick and easy method but looks really impressive. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 8:05am
post #18 of 24

Quote:

I was watching youtube on 'caning' using clay.  It looked exactly like gumpaste to me, so I made up a batch and went to town... and I love it!!  I did the green & white for leaves, and it looks different, but I LIKE it!  What do you think?  

Have any of you worked with this medium??  If so, what were your results?  What other applications can it be put to? 

Can you post some pictures to go by?

blwiley: those look like those old fashioned hard candies that we got as kids, with flowers or flags inside the candy.  very interesting designs.

Chellescakes:   adorable dragons !!!

you guys are talented.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 9:31am
post #19 of 24

I have been meaning to try this technique for soooooo long.  It's good to hear that it works well.  Maybe one day I will get around to it.

blwilley Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 3:49pm
post #20 of 24

Sassyzan

I am going to try & find The Contemporary Cake Decorating Bible in the library first, cheaper that way.  Got a sneak peak at it on B&N site, but they only let you see a sampling of pages.  Thanks for introducing me to this book.  I had heard of The Cake Bible, but had not thought any more about it.  I have too many recipe books now. lol

blwilley Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 6:09pm
post #21 of 24

Hi Chellescakes!

Thanks so much for the instructions.  The grands are going to love these little fellas!  They are 3 & 6, and want to play with icing every time they come.  But then, every kid in the neighborhood comes to my home to play with icing! lol  I keep batches of it made all the time, just for them.  Doesn't have to be a cake in the picture.  I make the MMF totally by hand, no mixer.  And, yes, I DO own one-lol.  Have a great day!

blwilley Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 6:47pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

blwiley: those look like those old fashioned hard candies that we got as kids, with flowers or flags inside the candy.  very interesting designs.

Chellescakes:   adorable dragons !!!

you guys are talented.

THANKS!!!

blwilley Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 7:16pm
post #23 of 24

Hi everyone!

I have been busy with other projects, but have not lost interest here!  I told Amelia on CakeFu, just the other day, that if I ever did a 'show cake', it would definitely include caning.  I just love the effect.

I have another site that isn't caning, but it is used in decorating.  Check it out.  It just might save you some money too. lol

And this site might be of interest if you make your own molds.

Be happy{:-)

blwilley Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 7:26pm
post #24 of 24

Quote:

etc...

The design on the tummy , I have sliced off three rounds of my paste and carefully rolled them together to make the tummy , the horns and tail scales are a sliced piece cut diagonally and then slightly rolled .  The top of the cake and cakeboard is done with a royal icing stencil , This was done with a lacy scrapbooking paper . It is a quick and easy method but looks really impressive.

Hello Chellescakes, I don't think I ever thanked you properly for your help with this.  My sister loves it too.  She is into dragons big time!  She has grands & greatgrands.  Once again, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%