New To Fondant

Decorating By ally tatman Updated 29 Nov 2013 , 3:49am by ally tatman

ally tatman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally tatman Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 8:29am
post #1 of 5

Hi my name is ally and I have been wanting to mtry using fondant.  What all would i need just to make my first cake with fondant?  Thanks for any help! :)

4 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 9:03am
post #2 of 5

AThere are a few threads on here about what supplies you need to get started, I'd search through those.

When I started I bought TONS of tools! I'm not joking, I starting researching there are just so many different techniques to cake decorating. I bought the huge 3-level Wilton tool cady, a cricut, isomalt, anything Wilton I could get my hands on...I have a room full of tools and I haven't even used half of them.

I've replaced most of my Wilton pans with higher quality. Cake decorating is an expensive hobby/profession.

Depending on your skill set and future goals I would start with some good quality pans (Magic Line) avoid the ones with slanted edges. A good quality serrated knife for leveling and torting your cakes. Many people make their own fondant but if you haven't made it before its a good idea to buy some first, that way you get a feel for the texture. A Lazy Susan is great for a turntable, some offset spatulas and a bench scraper (for smoothing icing-very important for fondant). Some kind of rolling pin and a smoother. These are what you'll need to get the cake covered.

Most of your sculpting tools you can get in the clay isle rather then among the cake decorating supplies, they are much cheaper. Many tools can be substituted for things you already have around the house. You can slowly add to your collection, petal dusts, food color, exacto knife (probably use this more then anything or a scalpel), cutters if you want to focus on flowers. It just depends on what you want to make.

daprincessnora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daprincessnora Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 5

AA lot of videos available on YouTube on how to cover the cake with fondant they're helpful too make sure to go across these while having ur tools handy Good luck

h0mesweeth0me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h0mesweeth0me Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 5

AI am a big fan of craftsy.com. Everything you need to know is on that site. There are two great free classes- one on buttercream and one on into to fondant that are absolutely perfect for someone new to fondant. And no- this is not a sponsored advert-- craftsy has great classes and keep an eye out for sales as classes are often on 50% off discounts, Good luck and have fun!

ally tatman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally tatman Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 3:49am
post #5 of 5

AOk Thank yall for all your help!!! I will hopefully get to try it within the next week! I just didn't want to go spend all this money and only use some of it! I'm excited to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%