Freezing, Thawing And Icing Cake Help!

Decorating By bridinney Updated 28 Nov 2013 , 12:42pm by Sakura Blossom

bridinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridinney Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 1:47am
post #1 of 20

ASo I have quite a bit of questions on a cake I will be making for December the 14th. I am new to this cake decorating and therefore need some help :). The problem with this date is that I have a final the 13th and the 14th, both at two. The cake is for my dad and the party will be starting at 6, hence that I will need the cake to be ready to go before my final at two on the Saturday. My plan is to make MFF (I've heard great reviews and find the MMF to be too sweet for a 40th bday party) on Wednesday the 11th and then bake, ice, fill and cover the cakes Thursday. Has anyone froze MFF before and have any suggestions when it comes to wrapping it up? What about the thawing? I should be home around 30 minutes before the start of the party and it will be sitting at the hall for about two hours before being served. Therefore my second question is what time should I take the cake out of the freezer at? Should it be defrosted in the fridge? Next question is I will be making the cake 10inch bottom 8 inch top and I'm unsure of how much buttercream I should make. The recipe I use normally covers 24 cupcakes with a good amount of icing on each. Any advice or suggestions on even one part would be great :) thank you!

19 replies
Psyched baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Psyched baker Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 2:02am
post #2 of 20

AIf you are planning to put together the cakes on Thursday and you are serving them on Sat, you can just put them together, ice and cover them on Thurs and just put them in the refrigerator. I would not freeze the cake after it has the fondant on it. Also, what fillings are you using? If you are using buttercream for your filling then you may need more, otherwise one batch may be enough (it takes a lot of frosting for me to cover 24 cupcakes though, so that is my estimate-I use a large tip and pile them high - see pic - so if you are just doing a little icing with a knife, you will probably need to double your recipe me to cover both cakes, especially if you are using buttercream for the filling. You will be fine with the cake in the refrigerator. The only thing to be cautious about is putting anything with a strong smell in the fridge as you don't want the flavor to get into the cake. Hope that helps![IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3139579/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

bridinney Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 2:28am
post #3 of 20

AThe amount I used on the cupcakes was not that thick. I plan on using an oreo filling so the buttercream will only be used for the dirty icing and the layer directly under the fondant. And so if I keep in it the fridge for those two days, what do you recommend me wrapping the cake in? Should I take the cake out a few hours before the event or not until I leave?

Psyched baker Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 2:49am
post #4 of 20

AYou will probably need to increase you recipe to cover both cakes w/icing, maybe just do one and a half recipes. What else is with the Oreos in your filling? What is your design going to be on the cake? You could cover the cake loosely with plastic wrap but I would wait until Fri morning to do that to be sure the plastic doesn't stick to your fondant or ruin any of your design. You don't need to take it out ahead of time as it will prob be sitting out for a couple of hours at the party before you cut into it and that will be good with it coming from the refrigerator (not the freezer). If you cover w/plastic wrap, be sure to take it off when you take the cake out if the fridge so it does not stick to cake as it comes to room temp.

bridinney Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 3:33am
post #5 of 20

AI will be using a recipe I found online which contains cream cheese condensed milk cool whip and the oreo pieces. I have heard that you should wrap the cake in Saran Wrap with it touching the cake and leave on until the cake has reached room temperature so that all condensation will collect on the Saran Wrap. Is this true? I just don't want my fondant to get wet as there will be no way for me to get a new cake the day of the party. I will post a pic of the cake I want to make. The figure will be made of modeling chocolate and stored in a tight container in my cool bedroom.

http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3123553/width/500/height/1000

Sakura Blossom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sakura Blossom Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 4:02am
post #6 of 20

AYes you can freeze the cake, I did that many time. To avoid condensation, put your cake in a box and wrap the whole box with saran wrap. If you decid to freeze it, let it thaw at least the day before the event with saran wrap on, then a few hour before the event, let it come to room temp. Remove then saran wrap only at least 4 hours after it is at room temp. I never had any problem with condensation

bridinney Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 4:24am
post #7 of 20

AOkay thanks for the help both of you :). I just have one more question. Do either of you (or anyone else that can answer this question) know how much MFF yields? I am looking at her newly updated version (09) and want to know how many batches I will need to cover my cake. Thanks!

Sakura Blossom Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 4:37am
post #8 of 20

AWhat size exactly are your cakes?

bridinney Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 4:39am
post #9 of 20

AThe bottom tier will be a 10 inch round and the top tier an 8 inch round. Each tier will have two 2 inch rounds so 4 inches of cake on either tier

Sakura Blossom Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 4:47am
post #10 of 20

AFor your cake you will need about 5lbs and 2 oz of MFF. I saw the recipe and it yeild only 3 1/2 lbs so you will need 2 batches.

Sakura Blossom Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 4:55am
post #11 of 20

AHey sorry about this, I just re read the recipe and it calls for 3 1/2 lbs of powder sugar it was not the total weight and I never made it before but just weight it at the end of the recipe. So you would be able to judge wether or not you will need a second batch

bridinney Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 4:59am
post #12 of 20

AOkay thank you for the reply :) I will try and find a post that says how much hers yields, if not I will just weigh it after one batch like you suggested.

bridinney Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 5:06am
post #13 of 20

ASo After some quick searching, I found one batch would yield 4-4.5 lbs of fondant. I think I will make a batch and a half, that way I can have extra needed for the decorations on my cake (if you look at the picture I am referring to the white lines and numbers as well as the flag rather than the topper which will be made from modeling chocolate)

jasonjiang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jasonjiang Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 8:44am
post #14 of 20
I will be using a recipe I found online which contains cream cheese condensed milk cool whip and the oreo pieces. I have heard that you should wrap the cake in Saran Wrap with it touching the cake and leave on until the cake has reached room temperature so that all condensation will collect on the Saran Wrap. Is this true? I just don't want my fondant to get wet as there will be no way for me to get a new cake the day of the party. I will post a pic of the cake I want to make. The figure will be made of modeling chocolate and stored in a tight container in my cool bedroom.:D

-------------------------------------------------------------

<

http://www.utfifa.co.uk/

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 9:58am
post #15 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonjiang 

I will be using a recipe I found online which contains cream cheese condensed milk cool whip and the oreo pieces. I have heard that you should wrap the cake in Saran Wrap with it touching the cake and leave on until the cake has reached room temperature so that all condensation will collect on the Saran Wrap. Is this true? I just don't want my fondant to get wet as there will be no way for me to get a new cake the day of the party. I will post a pic of the cake I want to make. The figure will be made of modeling chocolate and stored in a tight container in my cool bedroom.:D

-------------------------------------------------------------

<

http://www.utfifa.co.uk/

I don't know how to alert the mods to the fact that this idiot has highjacked this thread and get rid of him, can anybody tell me what I should do, if anything?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 10:57am
post #16 of 20

AClick the little red flag at the bottom of the post. Hes everywhere this morning.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 11:28am
post #17 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

Click the little red flag at the bottom of the post. Hes everywhere this morning.

Thank you, clicked him.

Psyched baker Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 12:08pm
post #18 of 20

A1 recipe if MFF makes a ton of fondant. You will be fine to cover the 8, 10 and have more for decoration. If you are worried, just of one and a half recipes. I would not leave the scarab wrap on the cakes while it comes to temperature especially if there are different colors that could bleed onto one another. Just my opinion.

Psyched baker Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 12:17pm
post #19 of 20

AI just looked at the cake you are making. I think you are safe to decorate the bottom later completely but I would just make the emblems for the top layer sides and than stick them on the cake right before you leave. Black on white fondant is notorious for bleeding if there is any condensation. Make sure you dowel the cake so that the bottom layer will support the top. I would not freeze this cake as cream cheese and whipped cream can change consistency and they will be Sade to serve if you do so within 3 days (given that you keep it refrigerated until the party).

Sakura Blossom Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 12:42pm
post #20 of 20

You need to press on the red flag bottom left.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%