My Red Velvet Cake Keeps Going Brown

Decorating By luvscrystalsluvsbaking Updated 2 Dec 2013 , 8:38pm by AnnieCahill

luvscrystalsluvsbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscrystalsluvsbaking Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 5

I live in the UK and i have always made red velvet cake without any issues but recently due to EU regulations the standard liquid red food colouring has been change to natural colouring therefore they are no longer suitable for making red velvet cake as they make the cake turn brown.

following advice from my local cake shop i started using sugarflair gel food colours which have poppy red, christmas red and extra red in their range. I have tried all three colours but i still get my cakes coming out brown especially starting from the corners of the cake working its way to the center. so sometimes i have the middle of the cake red but the rest of the cake has gone brown.

I cant seem to get my hands on americolour's red and i really dont know what to do anymore.

i would like advice on what could be happening...

Thank you

4 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 4:34am
post #2 of 5

Maybe try a recipe using beets?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 5

you can find all the info online for using beets--strangely it's not as straight forward as it would seem--it's been discussed on here before too so do your due diligence before you start

ny20005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ny20005 Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 5

AI use half of the cocoa & half drinking chocolate & I get perfect red cakes now

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 5

Don't overload red velvet with cocoa powder.  It should only be a few teaspoons at most.  You also have to use a few teaspoons of gel in order to get the color.  It just comes down to adding more color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%