New Baker Questions About Substituting??

Baking By beachandsweets Updated 10 Dec 2013 , 2:56am by basileneo

beachandsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachandsweets Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 2:30am
post #1 of 11

When substituting in a cupcake recipe with flavored creamers, oils, etc. what liquids should you/ should you not replace? Is it safe to replace eggs, what is there purpose? Can oil be replaced with creamer or is that a no? New baker, don't really know how to create my own recipes yet! :oops:

10 replies
CONFECTIONERIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONERIE Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 2:40am
post #2 of 11

What's your recipe and what are you looking to add in?  You definitely shouldn't replace your eggs; they work as a "binder" and help keep everything together.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 3:58am
post #3 of 11

AIn many recipes you can easily replace eggs as long as you substitute another binding agent (tofu, flaxseed, etc.), here are several resources that can help you: https://www.google.com/search?q=egg+substitutes+in+baking

In general searching for "replace X with Y baking" should provide useful results.

basileneo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basileneo Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 4:16am
post #4 of 11

AI only bake eggless cakes because my daughter is allergic and we've been living in India for four years and a lot of people don't eat eggs (plus the obvious health related issues around freshness and disease). I only ever struggle when I want to do French type of cakes, because they stick eggs everywhere, it's virtually impossible to get the same result and the real deal. Look up vegan recipes, you'll have loads to play with. You don't have to go vegan all the way. I do because some of my daughter's friends are also allergic to milk, and when we get an infection like girardiaresis, it creates milk intolerances, so since you never know who's got it or not, it's just easier that way, haha! I'm making living in India sound like a dream, aren't i! I use canola oil, pumpkin, apple or banana purée and flax seed or egg replacer. It depends on the recipe.

Good luck!

beachandsweets Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 11

Lol yes you're really making India sound lovely! Kidding kidding, but those are great substitutes thank you!

beachandsweets Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 11

My main recipe uses eggs as a binder, and also has oil. So is it best to replace some of the oil with flavored oil? And when should creamers replace something

basileneo Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 6:47am
post #7 of 11

AHi Sorry I missed to notification about your email.

I'm not sure, that's a lot of swapping things around. Have you since found a recipe that answers your needs without the head scratching and playing Tetris with your ingredients?

beachandsweets Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 11

Yes! The WASC recipe is much easier to substitute

basileneo Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 11

AGlad to hear it!

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 1:04am
post #10 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachandsweets 

My main recipe uses eggs as a binder, and also has oil. So is it best to replace some of the oil with flavored oil? And when should creamers replace something

I never use coffee creamer in my cakes - so I have no idea about them. I bake from scratch. 

I wouldn't replace your oil. Oil adds flavor and keeps your cakes from drying out. If using LorAnn flavoring oils, you don't need to replace anything. Just add them to your cake batter. Keep in mind a little goes a long way. You'll have to use a dropper to put the oil in, mix it, then taste the batter to see if it's a strong enough flavor. 

You have to be careful subbing eggs for other things. Definitely do a google search. I do have an eggless vanilla cake recipe I use a lot, but I follow the recipe. I don't really experiment unless I know what I'm doing! :) 

basileneo Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 2:56am
post #11 of 11

AIt's funny, I wouldn't even know what to do with creamer. Wherever I've lived it's never been available and I'm stuck with the idea that it comes in little pods you get with your coffee in Europe. The series Vegan Pie in the Sky is part of is good for all things vegan and to help with substitutions. There's one about pies (cheesecakes included), one about cookies and one about cupcakes. The stuff to replace dairy with, again, has never been available wherever I've lived, so I have to reintroduce the dairy in there. Substituting the substitutes, it's a bit upside down!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%