Minnie Mouse Cake! Help Asap Please!!!!

Decorating By mellbel25 Updated 14 Dec 2013 , 6:17am by Extra Mile Icin

mellbel25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellbel25 Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 2:50am
post #1 of 13

AHello everyone! So I have a question.

I need to make this Minnie Mouse cake this weekend for a customer and I'm having a little trouble . I have made a Minnie Mouse hat topper out of styrofoam but this time I need to make it out of a cake. I was going to use the soccer ball pan , but I'm also thinking , when I try to stick the fondant ears, won't they be too heavy to stick onto the cake and won't they flop down and ruin the cake?? Any ideas??

Please . Anything would be helpful!!! Thank you everyone!!! [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3143470/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

12 replies
Haleyb0923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Haleyb0923 Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 3:19am
post #2 of 13

I make my Minnie head out of Rice Krispie Treatz. But I have used the mini soccer ball pan and did cake also. I am doing one this weekend out of cake. Use thick skewers to attach your ears made from gumpaste. They should not rip or fall out of the cake just make the dowels a little longer than you would for Styrofoam.

RosieCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieCakeDiva Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 13

Make the ears as much in advance as you can....and use 2 skewers/sticks in each ear to maintain the stability. They shouldn't be too heavy. :)

mellbel25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellbel25 Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 13

AThank you ladies!!!

Extra Mile Icin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Extra Mile Icin Posted 12 Dec 2013 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 13

Flat lolly sticks are an excellent way of supporting big things like ears - either cut out two identical ears & stick them together, sandwiching the lolly stick between them, sticking out of the bottom, to slide into the cake, OR make quite thick ears & slide the stick into the middle of the ear . I also added Tylose powder to the sugarpaste to strengthen it and curved the ears slightly, to give them more stability, as my cake didn't have long to dry either. Hope this helps!

Barbara from https://www.facebook.com/ExtraMileIcing

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2013 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 13

I'm just impressed that you were able to get Disney to give copyright permission!  

Extra Mile Icin Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 8:34am
post #7 of 13

I'm not really sure what to make of that comment, Leah_s...

Parents of small girls spend a fortune on Disney merchandise and a Minnie Mouse themed party is going to generate even more income to the brand in terms of napkins, plates, cups & other decor. A cake that's been OK'd by the powers that be would be nigh-on impossible to get, so you'd end up with an expensive themed party with no themed cake... Also, I'm confused that you've picked on me specifically, when there are literally hundreds & HUNDREDS of cakes that feature Minnie herself - figures, faces, all the trimmings, in fact and all this is, is a black ball with some non-Disney-regulation ears and a bow stuck on. 

Could you let me know exactly what point you were making - I might have got the wrong end of the stick, and please forgive me if I have, but right now I'm feeling very publicly 'got at' and it's not a nice feeling, especially when I was just trying to help fellow decorators with a specific question on how to support floppy bits of fondant! 

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 10:01am
post #8 of 13

AExtra mile,

I actually don't think Leah was speaking to you. She was probably talking to the OP and was trying to make a point about copyright laws that's all

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 10:52am
post #9 of 13

ASpot on, morganchampagne.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 11:54am
post #10 of 13

AThere are many cakes with copyright characters, your correct but that doesn't necessarily mean it's legal. I'm not trying to be rude, you are free to do whatever you want with your business, the comments aren't meant to be hurtful just informative.

You can look at other posts concerning copyright infringement but basically if you or your customer can obtain the rights it's fine, if you are making a cake for your daughter it's fine, but profiting in any way is an infringement-you can't even post the picture in your portfolio.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Some people just don't know others don't care but companies are cracking down on this, you can get fined for this. I just read an article the other day about Etsy shutting down a store for copying the Harley Davidson brand.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 13

AThe bottom line is that all Disney characters are off limits. It's illegal it really is. It's not a matter of opinion that's just the law. But people do them anyway like SMckinney said. So do it at your own risk. OP there's tons of tutorials on this if you want to proceed

Bt3138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bt3138 Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 5:25am
post #12 of 13

AHello, check out Krazy Kool cake on youtube. There's a great tutorial on Minnie and Mickey hat topper with ears.

Extra Mile Icin Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 6:17am
post #13 of 13

Oh, I see - I'm so sorry... it did seem odd. Apologies, Leah :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%