What's Wrong With My Cake!!

Baking By sdoc12 Updated 19 Nov 2013 , 11:10pm by morganchampagne

sdoc12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdoc12 Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 5

AI am an amateur baker/decorator. I am still trying to find a perfect cake recipe.

I made a yellow cake and in my first attempt I felt it was dry (but not crumbly, had a perfect coat for frosting). Next time I kept a closer and eye and kept checking by the toothpick test. The toothpick didn't come out clean at 60 mins. At the 65 min mark, it came out clean. But when the cake cooled down and I took it out, the outer side of the cake was browner than the middle. The cake was not a light yellow color.

Any advice on what I can do?

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 5

AWhat size cake were you baking? At 65 minutes it was a fairly large cake right?

sdoc12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdoc12 Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 5

AIt was actually an 8" cake. My oven temp was 325 and I was using bake even strips. When I baked without the bake even strips and at 325, it took 45 mins. But that one I found was dry.

morganchampagne Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 5

Well….I can say that 65 minutes for an 8" at 325 is too long…although I think you're saying it was in there for 45 minutes? Im not sure about that. But definitely 45 minutes max for an 8" cake. 

Your cake could be dry from over mixing…how long are you typically mixing your batter? 

morganchampagne Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 5

Also if you can, post your recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%