Ruffles/frilly Cake: Fondant Or Gumpaste?

Decorating By MyFairDiva Updated 19 Nov 2013 , 9:21pm by MyFairDiva

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 6

AHi all!

I've been asked to make a small ruffle cake for December 4th, and since it's my first one, because I'm just starting in this, I'd like to know your opinion on the technique.

I'm thinking of covering the cake in fondant and then stick the ruffles with glue or water on it.

I was wondering if you make the ruffles out of fondant or gumpaste, since the gumpaste can be rolled out a lot thinner than fondant?

Thank you! Regards, Cinthia

5 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 6

AI would first try fondant with se tylose powder. Becsuse, and this is a personal thing...Gumpaste dries really hard. Wouldn't want that all over my cake.

MyFairDiva Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 6

AThanks Morgan! - I'm just afraid of it going too hard; we have CMC where I live, I guess I will try with a very small pinch to see if I can make it more elastic so it doesn't crack when making the frills.

See what I mean when I say I'm a newbie?... totally forgot that small "detail" of gumpaste going super hard.

*Wears her dunce hat and retires to her corner :P*

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 6

ALol!! No problem! No dunce hats around here. Ive only been doing it a year. Stick around here and ask questions and read. I've learned so much here

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 6

I would not use gumpaste - it will get too hard and make it hard to cut the cake into servings.  Fondant - allowed to dry a bit - like 5 minutes - before placing on the cake should to it for you.

MyFairDiva Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 6

AThank you kakeladi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%