Prefect Vanilla Cake

Baking By Zainabr Updated 26 Dec 2014 , 4:56pm by sweettooth101

Zainabr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zainabr Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 8:16am
post #1 of 10

Hey everyone,

So I have always been a fan of hersheys perfectly chocolate chocolate cake and that has been my go to chocolate cake. 

So I love the taste and texture of Betty Crockers Vanilla Cake mix but I want to make my vanilla cake recipes from scratch with oil instead of butter (just as the box mix) cos I think that just makes them lighter and fluffier.

I have yet to find my perfect vanilla cake recipie and I was wondering how I could convert the proportions of my hersheys recipie into a vanilla recipe. 

Anyone tried doing this before? 

Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake

2 cups sugar

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour 

3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup boiling water

Thanks! :)

9 replies
cookieszeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieszeal Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 10

Thank you so much for this recipe, I'm a chocolate cake lover too. I would definitely try this recipe and will let you know the outcome. thanks again

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 10

ACould you replace the cocoa with flour and add some extra vanilla (or vanilla bean paste)? I've only ever tried it with the Chocolate Depression cake (although made it lemon) and it worked nicely for that but dont know if it's a universally usable swop!

Zainabr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zainabr Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer353 

Could you replace the cocoa with flour and add some extra vanilla (or vanilla bean paste)?
I've only ever tried it with the Chocolate Depression cake (although made it lemon) and it worked nicely for that but dont know if it's a universally usable swop!

Thank you for the suggestion :)

I've read in other recipies that you might have to lower the amount of flour replaced as cocoa otherwise it might get doughy but was wondering if anyone had actually tried that out or not.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 10

AAh, that might be the case with volume. I weigh everything since that's what I grew up doing and swop the weight of cocoa for the same weight of flour and that works for me.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 8:24am
post #6 of 10

This question periodically comes up: from previous posts

Things to think of:

1. that much cocoa is supplying structure as well as taste to the completed product. Adding flour as a substitute for cocoa is also adding more gluten .. cocoa has no gluten. Gluten gives elasticity and strength to baked goods. But cake should be soft and light - that means not adding more gluten. Too much causes a tough, dry cake.

2. cocoa in a baked product is very drying - more liquid is required to balance this tendency. Removing the cocoa will unbalance the moisture content

3. natural cocoa is acidic in nature: to balance this, there is usually an alkaline item in the recipe: bicarb soda, buttermilk, sour cream, yoghurt etc. The chemical reaction neutralizes but it also acts as a secondary leavener. Removing the cocoa, means that another item will have to be introduced to counter the alkaline ingredient

4. if there is no primary leavener, and you remove one of the catalysts of the acid/alkali reaction, you will have to add some type of leavener or the item may not rise ..

Suggestion: look for another recipe ..

juliana4sam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliana4sam Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 10

AI tried this recepie last year and it was amazing:d

sophiecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophiecook Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 10

I always stick to this recipe for a vanilla cake and it always goes down a treat..

• 200g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 medium eggs
  • 200g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
  • about 6 tbsp raspberry jam
  • 250ml double cream, whipped
  • icing sugar, for dusting
  1. Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Grease and flour 2 x 20cm sandwich tins. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and beat well to a creamy consistency. Slowly beat in the eggs, one by one, then fold in the flour and mix well.
  2. Divide the mix between the cake tins, place into the oven and bake for about 20 mins until risen and golden brown. The cakes should spring back when gently pushed in the middle. When ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 mins in the tin, before turning out onto a wire rack and cooling completely.
  3. Spread the jam onto one cake and top with the cream. Sandwich the cakes together and dust with icing sugar.

Brenda09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda09 Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 10

AThid is my recipe for vanilla cake. I love it. 2cups sugar 4eggs 2 1/2cups flour 1cup milk 3/4 cup vegetable oil 2 1/4 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla extract

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 10

Whenever I want to change a chocolate cake recipe to vanilla I replace the cocoa powder with equal amount of cornstarch/cornflour/maizena, different countries use different terms.And add vanilla essence.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%