Gumpaste Or Fondant For Little Figure Models?

Decorating By imokia03 Updated 19 Nov 2013 , 9:03am by kiwimiriam

imokia03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imokia03 Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 2:29am
post #1 of 3

My daughter has requested a My Little Pony birthday cake for her birthday. I am planning on making the Ponies.  The models I plan on making are about 2-3 inches tall, kind of like one of the toys you would purchase from the store. Couple of questions:

1st - gumpaste or fondant??  Which would work better? I have used fondant but not gumpaste and I am just getting into making cakes.

2nd - in using gumpaste and/or fondant how soon before the party can I make these models and how should they be stored?

Thank you for your suggestions...

2 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 2:34am
post #2 of 3

They both would work fine, but I would recommend gum paste because it's sturdier.  Gumpaste figurines last forever.  Store away from humidity.

Fondant is also a good option if you know your daughter will want to eat the decorations…it is softer and tastes better.  I usually only make fondant decorations 2 days in advance.

kiwimiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwimiriam Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 9:03am
post #3 of 3

You could use Gumpaste or Fondant.  If you do use Fondant mix in a little bit of Tylose, which will make it dry a bit harder and will also be easier to work with. It is still edible as well.

Any figurines, small little flowers etc I use Fondant and Tylose, and only use Gumpaste for flowers as you need to roll it very thin.

As Norasmom has said store away from humidity, but don't put in a closed plastic container as it will go soft and lose shape.    Store in a cardboard box, or a plastic container with the lid off or holes in the lid to let air circulate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%