3D Christmas Tree Leaves

Decorating By justleeanne Updated 18 Nov 2013 , 5:59pm by mfeagan

justleeanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justleeanne Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 2

Hi fellow cakers!

I am going to make a 3d Christmas tree, I plan to do this tomorrow for a display and am wondering if anyone can give me some pointers/tips on how they would go about achieving the style with the leaves below.

I was going to use a green modelling chocolate which I have made wrap cakes with previously and does shape and fold quite well. However I am thinking that gravity may pull the leaves down and it won't get that curled effect.

Would you make the leaves in advance and then try to adhere them once they had dried/set a little or do you think it will just stay in position if it is bent and maybe refrigerated for a few minutes to get it nice and firm, I have had issues with it going melty when I handle it for too long, I have warm hands!

Has anyone had experience with this kind of design? I wanted to replicate the look of the second design more which is probably more my style. I'm good to make the shape and cover etc it's just the leaves I am worried about!

Many thanks for your help! :)

1 reply
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 2

I would probably use a 50/50 mixture of fondant and gumpaste. I think the modeling chocolate will be too heavy. You should make all the leaves, let them dry, then adhere them. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%