Different Frostings But Same Cupcake Flavor?

Baking By jaseyer Updated 17 Nov 2013 , 1:18am by matthewkyrankelly

jaseyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaseyer Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 4:53am
post #1 of 7

can i sell vanilla cupcakes but with different kinds of frosting? just kinda anxious because might complain that the cupcakes are the same only the frosting is different, and what should i call it, "vanilla cupcakes with ----- frosting" or "------ cupcakes"? please help, thank you!!!!!!!

6 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 7

You can call it whatever you want, but yeah, I would distinguish it. You could even call it "Vanilla supreme".

Calling it vanilla cupcakes with _____ is fine too.

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 7

I do it all the time! 

You can even add spices to your batter and make a spiced frosting so it's fall-ish. Like pumpkin spice added to a vanilla batter is a pumpkin spice batter. 

I add cinnamon to it too. When it's baked, I add apple pie filling to the center of  my cupcake after I hollow it out. Top with a really light cinnamon buttercream. 

Fill with strawberry preserves and top with chocolate frosting or ganache. 

You can do a TON of different things with vanilla cupcakes! 

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 7

Are you talking about just changing the frosting around?  Sure, you can do that.  You can also fill them.  I like to fill my vanilla cupcakes with lemon curd.  YUM.

Bignlittlesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bignlittlesmom Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 7

I have been doing a little of this at the little bakery I work it. For example, one thing  I tried this week with our chocolate cupcakes was  turning one into  Reese's Cup Cupcake with Peanut butter frosting and  one into Almond Joy but using coconut frosting and a coconut filling. Next time I am going to add a filling to my Reese's Cup Cupcake. In a small bakery like mine this is an easy way to offer different "flavors" without baking a TON of different cupcakes.  We also frosted some chocolate cupcakes with vanilla butter cream and some with chocolate butter cream. 4 different options from 1 cupcake "base".

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 12:33am
post #6 of 7

AAre there going to be any other flavors? That might be kind of boring if that's all you're going to do with vanilla. I would suggest adding a filling and or different flavored extracts in the cake part for more diversity. Vanilla is a great base for many things. Add some lemon zest with lemon frosting & boom you have lemon. Add sprinkles to make it funfetti. Add crushed oreos for cookies & cream. The possibilities are endless.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 1:18am
post #7 of 7

Always start with van/van, van/choc, choc/van, choc/choc.  There are four combos right there.

Different frostings are great.  Some will sell. Others won't.  Consider flavoring simple syrups and brushing cupcakes with that and adding frosting flavors.  Syrups can be flavored with spices(cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, etc.)  or alcohols.  the flavor combinations are endless and can be more robust.  Many flavors are severely muted by the cooking process. Vanilla is one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%