Thank You Everyone!

Decorating By mashy Updated 16 Nov 2013 , 9:04pm by Psyched baker

mashy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashy Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 10

After reading tons of advice on here i finally attempted a 2-tier cake for my sister's baby shower, along with a simpler birthday cake.  Both covered with fondant (store bought) and I definitely didn't roll it out thin enough, but practice makes perfect.  Modelling chocolate flowers and decorations - which I absolutely love working with!

I'd like to say thanks to everyone on here who takes the time to answer everyone's questions, even though some of them get repetitive!  I still have a long ways to go before I'm even close to reaching the level of talent that a lot of you have, but without you I'd be completely lost and wouldn't even have the nerve to attempt what I have so far.

Thought I'd share the pictures, any feedback would be appreciated!

9 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 10

Far more ambitious than anything I've ever attempted. And they certainly look successful to me.

dragonlady1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonlady1964 Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 10

I think you did a really good job on the cakes. I love them they are so cute!!!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 3:03am
post #4 of 10

Mashy try kneading your fondant until it is soft and pliable and this may help stop the cracking around the top of the cake.  Otherwise well done.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 11:30am
post #5 of 10

A

Original message sent by cazza1

Mashy try kneading your fondant until it is soft and pliable and this may help stop the cracking around the top of the cake.  Otherwise well done.

I was kind of wondering about that. I didn't want to call attention to it myself without being able to offer a solution.

mashy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashy Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

Thanks for the advice, I thought maybe I hadn't rolled it thin enough but that makes sense.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 10

I have had the same prblems and I've committed to do a wedding cake in May. I'm so worried I won't learn how to do it by then! 

my fondant is well kneaded. old and new. i can't avoid those cracks, and the videos make it look so easy!

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

I have had the same prblems and I've committed to do a wedding cake in May. I'm so worried I won't learn how to do it by then! 

my fondant is well kneaded. old and new. i can't avoid those cracks, and the videos make it look so easy!

Ella, I'm with you. I watch those videos, then I try again but mine doesn't go anything like the video. My problem isn't cracking, it's not being able to get all the extra folds smoothed out. I chase them round the cake and end up with bunched up creases in the back! Aarrrgh!

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 1:25am
post #9 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

I made a 4 tier cake covered in fondant and the only difference other than size was the layers were colored differently.  The largest tier was light blue.  I still have a ton of that blue, because I retinted more fondant 3 times and still ended up with cracks.  The other tiers made from the same brand did fine.

Psyched baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Psyched baker Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 10

For those with problems cracking, you may need to add a bit of shortening (Crisco) to keep it from cracking. I would re-evaluate the type of fondant or recipe you are using if the problem continues. I found a good tutorial on how to put fondant on without getting seams at the bottom.:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-put-fondant-on-a-round-cake

That helped me...along with practice ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%