Pricing Of Cakes?

Business By AliciaKeltner Updated 15 Nov 2013 , 1:15am by Paperfishies

AliciaKeltner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliciaKeltner Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 20

I know it's all dependent on flavors, decorating, etc, but could you guys just give me feed back on ballparks on these? These were all family/friends cakes, so I charged almost nothing. Everyone tells me to start selling them, but I need to know what kind of money I should be expecting. Cake flavors are standard, and most are fondant (except 1st and 3rd below and "Aloha Donna" and Baseball/Glove). And all accessories (except 1st wedding topper and Belle princess) are edible fondant/gumpaste. Yes, I know I could do the $/piece concept, but I'd just like someone out there to say "that's a $500 cake" or whatever. Thank you all!

19 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 20

oh i really like your work--but per serving is how i think--sculptured cakes should start around $7 to $8 a serving for the most simple designs--your first cake should have been about $9 $10 per or more--and i don't know the servings so you have to do the math--

then the cake with all the animals on top i'd upcharge for those by giving a higher per serving price as well as the one with all the butterflies--the baseball & mitt is a sculpture--the castle is a sculpture but it has a 'loving hands at home' quality to it rather than a professionally priced cake--love peas in a pod--really nice tier cakes that would not require any upcharges imo--so just base price on the other tier cakes--

spend some time checking out other cake websites for their pricing and place yourself that way to get a feel for it--tier cakes should start about $4 - $5 per serving give or take--

just research other cake websites to get a feel for it

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 20

APrice per serving or a whole cake is basically the same thing... The smallest 4 tier cake I offer is a 6" round, 8" round, 10" round and 12" round which will feed 125 (according to Wilton which is what I base my cakes on). So you can either tell people: 1) my prices are $4/person for buttercream cakes so your cake is going to cost $500 2) The smallest 4 tier cake I offer is $500 - and by the way that feeds 125 people.

You have to remember that clients do not understand how many people a cake will feed. Brides come to me all the time with a picture in their head of what they want - and that picture has nothing to do with guest count. People do not understand that there is a direct correlation between the two.

That is why a price per serving is usually an easy way for clients to understand the cost of the cake they are ordering. When someone calls you wanting the price of a cake and they send you a picture of a 4 tier cake and all you give them is a total, the client won't understand how you got that total. If you break it down $4 x 125 (servings) = $500 it not only helps educate the client but also alerts them to how many servings the cake will feed. Maybe they only 50 or maybe they needed 200. This also helps the client figure out how to adjust their order based on their budget.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 20

AWhat is that at the bottom of the pink ladybug cake? It's impossible to give an accurate figure for a cake just by a picture, and anyone who does would be doing you a serious injustice imo. I know its not what you want to hear, but the only way to figure out your prices is to price out your expenses + time. getting random numbers from different bakers from different areas, will just confuse you and cause you to set up your whole pricing structure wrong.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaKeltner 

I know it's all dependent on flavors, decorating, etc, but could you guys just give me feed back on ballparks on these? ... Yes, I know I could do the $/piece concept, but I'd just like someone out there to say "that's a $500 cake" or whatever. Thank you all!

That's a $500 cake. Or whatever.

Alicia, I know it's far easier to let other people tell you how much to charge, but realistically, does that help you?

And PS - scrumdiddlycakes has a good question. What is that at the bottom of the pink ladybug cake?

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 20

AYou're wondering how much money you could be expecting...thing is you won't get the answer to that question by asking what you asked. Especially on an internet forum where you're talking to people from all over the world.

If you're going into business and don't even want to take the time to find out how to price your own cakes you're in for a time. Honestly. Its better that you sit down and price those cakes out. You can even search on here and find out some tips on how to do it

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

What is that at the bottom of the pink ladybug cake?

The original cake photo posted on Oct. 2009 in the baby shower cake forum does not have the littleboypenis on the bottom border.   ??

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/1487928/a/1488928/my-first-fondant-cake-took-about-24-30-hours-total-fondant-ladybugs-took-forever-not-sure-if-i-did-it-again-it-would-take-so-long-gosh-i-hope-not-yes-i-did-somewhat-copy-a-cake-i-found-online/sort/display_order/

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 20

ASo is this a hoax, centered around the interesting little addition to the baby shower cake? Hilarious if so...10 points to Gryffindor.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 20

ASo yeah, it's just impractical to throw out pricing on cakes that none of us made and don't know how many they served, what your costs were, what kind of overhead you deal with, quality of ingredients you used, etc. etc.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 20

So weird.

Maybe there was a hidden surprise in every photo posted . . . 

But I'm not going back to look.

Liz

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 2:07am
post #11 of 20

Maybe the picture posted in the forum was HER picture she took at home, and that is some sort of flesh colored last minute mushroom or something, and the picture posted in her album is at that party where someone saw the "mushroom" and jerked it off the cake before anyone else saw it?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 2:47am
post #12 of 20

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

someone saw the "mushroom" and jerked it off the cake before anyone else saw it?

Oh, you're baaaaaaaaaad! ;-)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 3:39am
post #13 of 20
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 1:29pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

http://cakecentral.com/t/655386/baking-for-friends-how-to-price

peter n repeater

You're right, MB. Pete's brother is Repete. Persistent little weiners.

AliciaKeltner Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 2:53pm
post #15 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

So is this a hoax, centered around the interesting little addition to the baby shower cake? Hilarious if so...10 points to Gryffindor.

Haha! No, no hoax.  This was their baby shower cake...the husband had really wanted a boy. So I made him a boy part to ease his shock of finding out they were having a girl.  And I didn't want to post the other pic from 2009 because it has my ex husband standing in the background of the pic and he is a cloud of negativity. The reason I posted and asked about pricing wasn't because I'm stupid or can't do math. It's because my mom always made fancy cakes (no fondant, just buttercream and flowers etc), but in my mind I honestly can't believe anyone would spend the kind of money that these cakes price out to when you figure $4-5 per buttercream serving or $8-12 for fondant serving. I have always been use to having fancy cakes in my family so to think that someone would pay $100-300+ for their kids birthday cake blows my mind. You all know I would get chided by the group if I lowballed my pricing, and I don't want my friends/family/soon-to-be-extended-client-base to think I'm way overpriced. This stuff takes time, but comes really easy for me (aside from hand/arm arthritis while decorating). Sometimes you need to hear "non-family" telling you, "yes, you really should be charging $1000 for that cake, not $350. It is not crazy, it is normal market price."

AliciaKeltner Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 2:58pm
post #16 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

http://cakecentral.com/t/655386/baking-for-friends-how-to-price

peter n repeater

Apologies. I forgot I asked this similar question 4 years ago. (man you guys are a tough crowd) I'm about to move to an area that doesn't have very many job opportunities in my true profession so I need to suddenly seriously look into ways of paying the bills. THAT is why I posted...again.  Sorry everyone.

AliciaKeltner Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 3:02pm
post #17 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Maybe the picture posted in the forum was HER picture she took at home, and that is some sort of flesh colored last minute mushroom or something, and the picture posted in her album is at that party where someone saw the "mushroom" and jerked it off the cake before anyone else saw it?

somewhat correct. The tiny weiner was my "at home" pic. And it was for the dad who was expecting a baby boy and was a bit sad about a baby girl.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 6:54pm
post #18 of 20

If those cakes came very easy for you, and you are shocked at what people will pay for cakes, you can try a little harder to crisp up those sides and edges, and REALLY charge a mint! ;-)

Psyched baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Psyched baker Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 7:17pm
post #19 of 20

AI agree with Anna. It looks like you have talent. The more cakes I do, the more clean my work gets. I think the thing to consider is how will you promote yourself and build a customer base. That is where I am now. I am being realistic and giving myself a year to build my business and get it where I want to be (around 3 large/detailed cakes a week).

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 1:15am
post #20 of 20

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Interesting choice of words. I'm sitting over here dying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%