Red Velvet Cake From Box Mix Recipe?

Baking By chwdg10 Updated 17 Nov 2013 , 9:46pm by Brooks321

chwdg10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chwdg10 Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 5

Unfortunately I have lost my favorite red velvet cake recipe where you use a box of german chocolate cake mix along with other ingredients, like buttermilk, red coloring, eggs, etc. I think it came from an old magazine or website. It was given to me by a friend, but that friend has passed away.

Is anyone familiar with a recipe like this?

4 replies
theicingartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theicingartist Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 5

Here is my Red Velvet recipe and I have had nothing but compliments on it, let me know what you think.  Check out my cake decorating how to videos at

I hope it all works out.

Red Velvet
 • 2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 large large eggs, at room temperature
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 1/2 cups all-purpoise flour
• 1/4 cup regular cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
• 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
• 1 teaspoon red food colouring paste)
Frosting
• 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 1 1/2 packages (12 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
• 4 cups icing sugar, sifted
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease two 8-inch square pans and line the pans with parchment so that it comes up the sides as well. 
2. Using electric beaters or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth, then add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beating well after each addition, beat in the vanilla.
3.In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add this alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour. Stir the white vinegar and food colour together and add this to the cake batter on low speed, but mixing until blended in. Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and spread to level.
4. Bake the cakes for about 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cakes in their pans for 20 minutes, then turn them out to cool completely.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rex00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rex00 Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 5:25am
post #4 of 5

Hi There,

Good to see your post. I had made red velvet cake, i am sharing a recipe with you. Don't Known how much it will help you. But you can try this one. Hope you get a right recipe. :smile:

Brooks321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooks321 Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 5

Hi! I like easy and tasty recipes. So I can recommend you this red velvet cake recipe. It's my favorite because of its easy way to cook. Of course, its flavour is delicious too! It's not my own, I've borrowed it. It's not from mix box, but it's as simple as from mix box.  http://cookiteasy.net/recipe/easy-red-velvet-cake-407778.html I like to add to the cake chopped walnuts. I hope it will be useful for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%