How To Get My Fondant Black?

Decorating By Erre234 Updated 12 Nov 2013 , 7:55pm by Rach80

Erre234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erre234 Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 12:02am
post #1 of 9

AHello, Someone please help. My mom and I are trying to black fondant. I have been seeing that the best choice is super black americolor. Is there any other way? And where can I buy americolor?

8 replies
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 12:27am
post #2 of 9

I get my Americolor off of Amazon BUT I usually buy primary sugarpaste colors like black and red because I find that it takes just too much color to give me the depth/hue I want.

Erre234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erre234 Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 12:50am
post #3 of 9

AWhere do you buy your primary sugar paste colors?

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 12:53am
post #4 of 9

Honestly, my best black fondant has been the result of starting with chocolate (brown) fondant and airbrushing in black. A ton lest pigment required that way.... 

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 1:05am
post #5 of 9

AIf you make your own fondant you can add cocoa powder to get it really dark brown. Then knead in black gel color

COButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
COButterfly Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 4:31am
post #6 of 9

You can also buy Americolor at Hobby Lobby.  But really, if you are at Hobby Lobby (or Michael's), consider just buying some black fondant.  It's so hard to make (but not impossible!).  Good luck!  :)

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 4:36am
post #7 of 9

If you're going to need a LOT of black, I would suggest buying it - only because by the time you get it black everyone who eats it will have black teeth/tongue/lips/etc.  if it just for accents: go brown first - use a little cocoa powder in lieu of PS and then use some brown food coloring to go dark brown, then add black and after kneading let it rest to see if you need to add more.

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 9

I use @ 2 or 3 oz ??? of black candy melts and some Americolor super black in with my 16 oz. of melted marshmallows .  Then I add a few tablespoons of JET BLACK cocoa (I get it at a natural food store) right to the melted mixture, stir real good, then add it to the powdered sugar.  It gives you a great start.  You shouldn't need to add much more super black after it's been kneaded.  

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 9

I actually just add it to the mashmallows before I melt them. I Found adding the black color after I've melted them never gives me a real black. I make MMF, and I just just scoop a good amount of the Wiltons Black color (Just happen to be what I had last time I needed black) and make the fondant like normal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%