Dripping Icing Look For A Winter Onederland Cake

Decorating By alshnicole Updated 16 Dec 2013 , 11:52pm by alshnicole

alshnicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alshnicole Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 13

I've had a client request a cake similar to the one below.  She really wants the dripping icing look, but I'm unsure of how to do it. I'm fairly new at this, so any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!!!  

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5127/5339991098_60298d7bca_z.jpg

5339991098_60298d7bca_z.jpg

12 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 13

it just looks like thick buttercream or royal icing piped on in a wave shape...

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 13

I would say it's a thick royal icing. It's super smooth and really white. The proper consistency will work! Just test it on the side of your cake pan before putting it on the cake to make sure it doesn't drip all the way down your cake! 

It's really cute!

alshnicole Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you guy!    I thought it was icing, but wasn't sure because of the shininess (is that a word?).  

mfeagan Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by alshnicole 

Thank you guy!    I thought it was icing, but wasn't sure because of the shininess (is that a word?).  

LOL! It is now!!!

Royal icing will have a sheen to it once dry. So it will look just like that! :)

You could also add some luster to it with some pearl or super pearl. You would get sort of a shimmer on your snow. ...just a thought. 

Nauz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nauz Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 13

I have to make a cake similar like this next month.  what did you end up using? royal icing?  any advices please?

alshnicole Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 13

I ended up using thick buttercream....wasn't really happy with how it turned out, but I really don't like the taste of royal icing.  I did add some peal luster and sugar sand to it.  

Winter Onederland cake, buttercream and fondant

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 13

you could do that with white ganache too--the baker's brand is whiter than other brands or rather baker's is less yellow

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 13

It almost looks like fondant on the bottom and royal icing piped on top of the fondant.  Either way I like the effect and may have to experiment with it to get this look myself.  BTW it look a minute to realize the word Onederland in the title was really suppose to be Wonderland.  I thought that was funny. It reminded me of that movie "That Thing You Do" where the band in the movie was called the Oneders (pronounced Wonders) but everyone keep calling them O-need-ers. 

justmeandacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justmeandacake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 13

It looks soooo...cute! I  love it!! Great job! :)

mfeagan Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginaherrin 

O-need-ers. 

LOL!!! I love that movie!

Cake is very cute. Remember you can always flavor RI with extracts! And the white chocolate idea is great! I like the Baker's brand as well. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 5:44am
post #12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginaherrin 

It almost looks like fondant on the bottom and royal icing piped on top of the fondant.  Either way I like the effect and may have to experiment with it to get this look myself.  BTW it look a minute to realize the word Onederland in the title was really suppose to be Wonderland.  I thought that was funny. It reminded me of that movie "That Thing You Do" where the band in the movie was called the Oneders (pronounced Wonders) but everyone keep calling them O-need-ers. 

hahaha! That is exactly what I thought of :-)

alshnicole Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 13

It was a Winter One-deralnd cake, the little girl was turning one.......

I shall not judge what others want, lol 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%